FINAL SCORE: Apprentice 11, College of the Albemarle 6
RECORDS: Apprentice 7-3; College of the Albemarle 2-3
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton
IN BRIEF: Three Builders drove in three runs each as The Apprentice School defeated visiting College of the Albemarle 11-6 on Thursday night. Trevin Wilson, Brian Belvin and Javier Remigio drove in three each as Ryland Edwards won his second decision of the season.
ON THE FIELD: After one out in the bottom of the first, the Builders put together a single and stolen base from Brock Harris, a walk to Chris Aldridge and RBI singles from Belvin and Remigio to take an early 2-0 lead.
The Dolphins scored three in the top of the second, but the Builders responded with two more as Thomas Dudley started with a single and Thomas Richardson moved him to third with a single through the right side of the infield. A Wilson RBI single was followed by an infield single from Harris and a RBI single from Aldridge for a 5-4 lead.
Apprentice School broke it open in the third as they pushed five runs across. Four of those came on two-run singles from Belvin and Remigio along with an RBI single from Wilson to lead 9-3 after three complete.
The Builders scored an unearned run in the fourth as a throwing error plated Lee Rossi who started with a walk. After giving up a pair in the fifth, the Builders scored one on the bottom of the sixth as Rossi doubled and went to third on a sacrifice from Richardson. Wilson came up and dropped a suicide squeeze bunt to score Rossi for the 11-6 eventual final.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Harris and Remigio had three hits each as Harris was 3-for-4 and Remigio was 3-for-5.
- Rossi scored three runs as he was 2-for-3. Joining him in the two-hit club were Wilson (2-for-6), Aldridge (2-for-4), Belvin (2-for-5) and Dudley (2-for-4).
- The Builders had a season-high 17 hits in support of Edwards who went five innings with a season-high eight strikeouts to get his second win of the year.
- Sophomore Colton Copeland came in and threw the final four innings allowing one hit and striking out three.
- Julio Rosales was the leading hitter for College of the Albemarle going 3-for-4 as the Dolphins had 10 hits.
NEXT UP – Alfred State
The Builders start a three-game series with USCAA member Alfred State on Saturday with a 10 am single game at War Memorial Stadium.