FINAL SCORE: MIT 11, Apprentice School 3
RECORDS: MIT 1-0, Apprentice School 15-8
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: The visiting Massachusetts Institute of Technology Engineers exploded for 20 hits and topped the Apprentice School 11-3 on Friday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- After giving up a run in the top of the first, the Builders bounced back with a run in the bottom of the inning as walks to Brock Harris and Christian Burton before a single by Chris Aldridge loaded the bases. Lee Rossi hit a sacrifice fly to right field to plate Harris to tie the game.
- The Engineers put up a single run in the second on a Kendall Helbert leadoff home run and then put three up in the fourth to lead 5-1.
- Apprentice School smashed a run across in the bottom of the fourth on a leadoff home run from Brian Belvin.
- Each team scored a run in the sixth, before the Engineers broke the game open with a single run in the seventh and four more in the eighth.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Aldridge was the lone Builders with a multi-hit game going 3-for-4 as the Builders had eight hits in the game.
- Creed Mangrum and Parker Tew had four hits each to lead MIT in its season opening win. Both of them also drove in three runs.
- MIT qualified for the NCAA Division III Baseball Championships last season and is pre-season picked second in its conference this year.
NEXT UP – CASTLETON STATE
The Builders have a rematch with Castleton State on Saturday afternoon at noon at War Memorial Stadium. These teams played on Thursday night with Castleton taking a 5-3 win.