FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 11, Castleton State 10
RECORDS: Apprentice School 16-8, Castleton State 3-4
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Senior Chris Aldridge matched career-highs in hits (4) and RBI (5) as the Apprentice School held off a late Castleton State rally for an 11-10 win on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- The Builders pushed a run across in the bottom of the first as Brock Harris opened with a single and stole second before moving to third on a groundout by Trevin Wilson. Aldridge reached on a fielders choice as the Spartans attempted to tag Harris coming home for a 1-0 Apprentice lead.
- Each team put up two runs in the second inning as the Builders started with two outs after Zach Harding started the inning with a single as Harris walked and Wilson was hit by pitch to load the bases. Aldridge beat out an infield single to score Harding and Brian Belvin reached on an error to score Harris.
- The Spartans took the lead with three runs in the top of the fourth on RBI doubles from Tyler Lord, Joe Borowski and Matt McNamee.
- Apprentice School scored four times to regain the lead in the bottom of the sixth as Belvin drove in two with a single, Christian Burton had an RBI single and Zach Harding drove in a run being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Harris started with a triple and scored on an Aldridge single to right field. A throwing error later in the inning allowed Belvin to score to give the Builders a 9-5 lead.
- Each team scored another two runs in the eighth as Aldridge ripped a double to centerfield scoring Thomas Dudley and Wilson who reached on a single and an error respectively to give the Builders an 11-7 advantage.
- In the ninth, the Spartans scored three times and had the tying run at second but closer Sam Massie got a strikeout to end the game.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Aldridge was 4-for-5 with five RBI to lead the Builders who had 13 hits in the game.
- Harris scored five runs to tie a school single-game record for runs scored in a game. That mark had been equaled six times, the last by Aldridge against Northwestern College on Mar. 3, 2012 in Vero Beach, Florida. He was 2-for-4 in the game.
- Belvin was 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI while Harding joined them in the multi-hit club going 2-for-4.
- Harris took the win on the mound throwing 3.1 innings of two-hit relief of starter Ryland Edwards.
- Castleton was topped by Matt McNamee and Taylor Vile who had four hits each.
NEXT UP – ST. VINCENT'S
The Builders close out the weekend with an early 9 am start against St. Vincent's College on Sunday morning.