FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 8, Virginia Wesleyan 5
RECORDS: Apprentice School 18-8;Virginia Wesleyan 7-13
LOCATION: Marlins Field/Virginia Beach, VA
IN BRIEF: Freshman Brian Belvin smashed a 3-run home run in the top of the sixth to put the Builders ahead to stay as they defeated Virginia Wesleyan 8-5 on Thursday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- After giving up a pair of runs in the second, the Builders cut the margin in half in the fourth as with two outs, Belvin walked and advanced to second on a balk before scoring on a RBI single from Christian Burton.
- In the sixth, the Builders took the lead on the strength of Belvin's third home run on the year. With one out, Trevin Wilson singled and advanced to second on an error. Chris Aldridge followed with a single before Belvin smashed his home run for the 4-2 Apprentice School lead.
- In the seventh, the Builders put up three more runs as they all came with two outs. The rally started with a bunt single and stolen base for Wilson before a walk to Aldridge. Wilson went to third on a wild pitch and both moved up on a passed ball. Belvin followed with a walk and Burton answered with a RBI single to plate Aldridge.
- The Builders gave up three in the bottom of the eighth with two of those coming on a home run.
- In the ninth, the Builders pushed a run across as with two outs Aldridge tripled to right field and scored on a RBI single from Burton.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Christian Burton was 3-for-4 with three RBI to lead the Builders at the plate.
- He was joined in the multi-hit club by Trevin Wilson (2-for-5, 2 runs scored) and Chris Aldridge ((2-for-4, 3 runs scored).
- Ryland Edwards won his fourth decision in five tries with seven innings of five-hit ball. He struck out two and walked only one.
- Each team had nine hits and each team also had two errors.
- These teams will play again on April 14 at War Memorial Stadium.
NEXT UP – Tufts University
The Builders will take on Tufts University on Saturday at 1 pm at War Memorial Stadium. The Jumbos are currently 8-0 on their southern swing to start their season.