FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 6, Thomas Nelson CC 5
RECORDS: Apprentice School 22-10, Thomas Nelson 4-8
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
ON THE FIELD
- Thomas Nelson opened the scoring with a three-run first inning as Michael Brumfield doubled to score Caleb Landrom who previously doubled. Two batters later Blake Wills singled through the left side to score Brumfield. Teddy Bachet followed with a single to score Hunter Triplett who had singled to put the Gators up 3-0.
- The Builders scratched a run in the first as Brock Harris and Chris Aldridge started the inning with singles. Following an out, Christian Burton singled up the middle to plate Harris to trim the deficit to 3-1.
- In the third, the Builders put up a three-spot of their own to take a 4-3 lead. Aldridge tripled to right with one out and later scored on a Mark Labrador sacrifice fly. Javier Remigio followed with a double to left center to score Brian Belvin and Burton for a 4-3 advantage.
- After three scoreless innings, the Gators tied the game with an unearned run in the top of the seventh as Bachet was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Brumfield. They took a 5-4 lead in the top of the ninth again off a bases loaded hit by pitch to Paul Jones that scored Brumfield.
- In the bottom of the ninth, Harris started with a single to left and went to third as Aldridge ripped a double to left center. Belvin took a two strike pitch to left field for a single to plate Harris and Aldridge for the winning run.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The walkoff single for Belvin was the first walkoff hit of the year for the Builders.
- After a rough start, Kyle Clark settled down and pitched 6.2 innings and struck out three while allowing eight hits. He retired 15 in a row from the end of the second inning through two outs in the seventh.
- Kelmin Escalera threw the next 1.1 innings with a pair of hits and one run allowed.
- Sam Massie finished the ninth and earned his third win of the year allowing two hits and striking out the last batter to end the top of the ninth.
- Aldridge and Remigio were 3-for-4 each to lead an 11-hit attack for the Builders. Remigio drove in a pair, allowing with Belvin, while Aldridge scored a pair of runs along with Harris
NEXT UP – College of the Albemarle
The Builders will start a two-game road swing on Tuesday heading to Elizabeth City, NC to take on College of the Albemarle in a 4pm game at Knobbs Creek Park.