LOCATION: Ettrick, VA
RECORDS: Virginia State 23-15, Apprentice School 22-11
IN BRIEF: A late comeback by the Builders fell short as Virginia State scored a 4-3 win in 11 innings on Friday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- The Builders pushes a run across in the top of the third inning as Chris Perry started the inning with a single and went to second on a sacrifice bunt from Trevin Wilson. After a strikeout, Chris Aldridge singled up the middle to score Perry.
- Virginia State answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning. Demetrius Roach started the inning with a single and advanced on a sacrifice bunt. After moving to third on a groundout he scored as Nicholas Christopher doubled to right center. Zachery Jordan followed with a single to left to plate Christopher for a 2-1 Trojans lead.
- The hosts took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the fifth as with two outs, Christopher singled and stole second before Jordan doubled to left to plate Christopher.
- In the ninth, the Builders took advantage of a pair of errors to score two runs with two outs and tied the game at 3-all. Lee Rossi started the inning with a walk and advanced to second as Perry reached on a throwing error. Trevin Wilson followed with a single that scored Rossi and advanced pinch-runner Thomas Dudley to third. A throwing error in attempt to get Dudley at third allowed him to score and tie the game.
- After holding off a threat in the bottom of the tenth, the Trojans pushed a run across in the bottom of the next inning. Tashaun Taylor started with a single and went to second on a sacrifice. A groundout moved him to third before Colton Gun took a 1-1 pitch through the right side for the walk-off single.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The Builders couldn't take advantage of five Virginia State errors in the loss.
- Aldridge and Mark Labrador had a pair of hits each for the Builders.
- Brock Harris reached base three times on walks.
- Perry was the starting pitcher and went six innings with six strikeouts. Ryland Edwards came in relief and took the loss throwing 4.1 innings with two hits and four strikeouts.
- Jordan was 3-for-4 with two RBI to lead Virginia State. Taylor took the win throwing one inning and allowing two walks.
- Second straight game that ended in walk-off fashion for the Builders after they defeated Thomas Nelson CC 6-5 on Sunday with a walk-off hit from Brian Belvin.
NEXT UP – Virginia Wesleyan
The Builders get back to action on Monday when they host Virginia Wesleyan College at 5 pm at War Memorial Stadium.