FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 15, Christopher Newport 3
RECORDS: Apprentice School 25-11, Christopher Newport 23-17
LOCATION: Captains Park/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: A two-run home run from Lee Rossi highlighted a five-run fifth inning as the Apprentice School scored a 15-3 win over Christopher Newport University on Wednesday afternoon in the close of a two-game set with the Captains.
ON THE FIELD
- Much like Tuesday's game between the teams, the Builders jumped out quickly scoring an unearned run in the first inning as Brock Harris reached second on an error and moved to third on a groundout. He later scored on a passed ball for an early lead.
- In the second inning, the Builders pushed two across as Mark Labrador singled and went to second on a Lee Rossi walk. Trevin Wilson followed with an RBI single up the middle to score Labrador and move Rossi to third. A wild pitch allowed Rossi to score for a 3-0 lead.
- They followed that two-run inning with another two-run inning in the third as Chris Aldridge singled to right and went to third on a Brian Belvin double to right center. A sacrifice fly by Christian Burton scored Aldridge and Belvin scored on an RBI groundout from Labrador to give the Builders a 5-0 lead.
- After a scoreless fourth, the Builders erupted for five runs in the top of the fifth. Aldridge drove in Harris with a triple and scored on a groundout from Belvin. Consecutive doubles from Burton and Labrador scored a run and Lee Rossi smacked a two-run home run to left center to give the Builders a 10-0 advantage.
- CNU scored a pair in the bottom of the inning on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly from Connor Henderson to cut the lead to 10-2.
- The Builders pushed a run across in the sixth as Belvin was hit by a pitch and scored on a double by Burton for an 11-2 lead.
- Each team scored a run in the eighth as Aldridge doubled to center to start the inning and went to third on a walk to Labrador which preceeded an infield single by Belvin for bases loaded. Javier Remigio hit a sacrifice fly to left center to score Aldridge.
- The Captains scored as Justin Weaver started with a double and scored on a double from Preston Grissom to make the score 12-3.
- Apprentice School scored three more in the top of the ninth as Wilson started with a single and went to second on a single from Harris. A double from Aldridge to right field plated Wilson and moved Harris to third. Belvin drove in Harris with a groundout which moved Aldridge to third. Labrador singled to left center to score Aldridge for the 15-3 final.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The Builders hit for the cycle as a team in the fifth inning as Harris singled, Aldridge tripled, Burton and Labrador doubled while Rossi hit a home run.
- Apprentice School had a season-high 18 hits which was the most since they had 17 in a win over College of the Albemarle on February 27.
- The four hits and two doubles from Aldridge tied career highs in both categories.
- The three hits for Labrador tied his career high set twice earlier this year against Virginia State (April 4) and Briarcliffe (February 22)
- Wilson was 3-for-4 with a run scored and RBI, while three Builders had two hits each in Harris, Belvin and Burton.
- The six doubles in the game for the Builders are a season high along with the eight extra-base hits.
- Chris Perry took the win throwing eight innings and allowing nine hits with three runs. Tim Fisher closed the game allowing one hit and one walk in a scoreless ninth inning. Perry is now 5-2 on the year.
NEXT UP – College of the Albemarle
The Builders will travel to Elizabeth City, NC on Tuesday afternoon for a 4pm contest with College of the Albemarle. This is a rescheduled game from a rainout two weeks ago.