FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 16, Thomas Nelson CC 5
RECORDS: Apprentice School 1-0; Thomas Nelson CC 0-1
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Christian Burton was 3-for-5 with four RBI as the Apprentice School responded after trailing 4-1 with 16 runs in the last three innings to take a 16-5 win over Thomas Nelson CC in the season opener for both teams.
ON THE DIAMOND
- The season started on a harsh note for the Builders as the Gators scored a pair of runs in the first inning on a single by Caleb Landrom and a triple to Julian White on the first two pitches thrown. White scored on a ground out to give Thomas Nelson an early 2-0 lead.
- Apprentice School got a run back in its half of the first inning as with one out Mark Labrador singled and stole second before Brian Belvin struck out but reached first on a passed ball which put Labrador at third. After Belvin stole second, Burton singled in Labrador to cut the deficit in half.
- The Gators got two more runs in the top of the third as Landrom walked and advanced to second on a single by White. After two outs, Jahleel Sewer ripped a double to left-center to score both runs for a 4-1 Gators advantage.
- The wheels started to fall off for the Gators in the home half of the fourth as the Builders erupted for seven runs. Harris drove in two with a single up the middle and Labrador followed with a two-run double to highlight the outburst and take an 8-4 lead.
- After allowing a run in the top of the fifth, the Builders scored five more in the bottom of the fifth taking advantage of a pair of TNCC errors. Lee Rossi drove in a run while three scored off the two errors.
- The Builders closed the scoring with three in the bottom of the sixth with Burton driving in Labrador and Harris with a single and Belvin bringing in a run on a bases loaded walk.
- Sophomore Steven Conley got the win throwing three innings in relief of starter Kyle Clark. Conley allowed three hits and one run in three innings.
- Joining Burton in the multi-hit club was Harris and Labrador each going 2-for-4, with three runs scored and drove in a pair apiece.
- The Builders outhit the Gators 12-8 as Sewer was 2-for-4 with three RBI and White was 2-for-3 with one RBI.
The Builders will face New River CC at 10 am on Saturday and then take on Danville CC at 3 pm at War Memorial Stadium. Danville CC defeated New River 11-1 in the Friday nightcap.
Sunday's games have been cancelled due to the frigid forecast. Saturday's schedule will remain the same.
10am: Apprentice School vs. New River CC
12:30 pm: Thomas Nelson CC vs. Danville CC
3 pm: Apprentice School vs. Danville CC
5:30 pm: Thomas Nelson CC vs. New River CC