FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 17, New River CC 2
RECORDS: Apprentice School 2-0; New River CC 0-4
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Senior Lee Rossi drove in eight runs and tied a school record going 5-for-5 as the Builders defeated New River CC 17-2 in the opening game of their Saturday twinbill.
ON THE DIAMOND
- The Builders scored a pair in the bottom of the first on a two-run double from Rossi to score Brian Belvin and Mark Labrador who each had singled. New River answered with a pair in the top of the second with an unearned run and a RBI fielders choice by Dalton Ledford.
- In the bottom of the third, Rossi struck again with a two-run shot to left-center for the first home run of the 2015 campaign. Brock Harris gave the Builders a 5-2 lead in the bottom of the fourth with a RBI double to left field to score Jacob Countiss who singled and stole second.
- A nine-run fifth inning for the Builders saw Rossi drove in four runs with a two-run double to start the scoring and a two-run single to close out the outbust. In the sixth, freshman Austin Carter drove in a run with a double to score Edwin Suarez who had walked.
- Rossi's eight RBIs are the fourth most in a single-game in the last 25 years and the most in a game since Andrew Yonta drove in six against Fulton-Montgomery College on Mar. 21, 2011.
- Rob Arredondo drove in nine runs against Randolph-Macon on Mar. 13, 2001 and Jonathan Dehoux had a nine RBI game against Briarcliffe on Apr. 5, 2009 and a 10 RBI game against Lock Haven on Feb. 21, 2009 as the only games higher in the last 25 years.
- Four other Builders had two hits each as Harris, Christian Burton, Cody Norris and Countiss all had a pair of base hits in the game.
- Freshman Johnathan Long took the victory throwing five innings and allowing five hits with two runs and five strikeouts.
The Builders will finish their twinbill Saturday with a game against Danville CC that should start around 4pm at War Memorial Stadium