GAME 1 - Apprentice School 17, Briarcliffe 3
GAME 2 - Apprentice School 6, Briarcliffe 1
RECORDS: Apprentice School 4-3, Briarcliffe 0-2
IN BRIEF: The baseball team got its first United States Collegiate Athletic Association action of the year and swept a doubleheader from Briarcliffe College 17-3 and 6-1 in Vero Beach, Florida on Friday.
GAME 1 HOW THEY SCORED
- Apprentice School erupted for a seven-run third inning highlighted by consecutive home runs from Lee Rossi and Colin Wilber. Rossi smacked a two-run home run and Wilber put his solo shot over to give the Builders a 7-0 lead.
- They scored the first of their two four-run innings in the fourth as Wilber drove in one with a single, Christian Burton had a sacrifice fly to plate one and two scored on wild pitches as the Builders took an 11-0 lead into the bottom of the fourth.
- Briarcliffe put one across in the home half of the fourth as Bryan Dromerhauser singled in Nick Marzano with two outs.
- Apprentice School put two more on the board in the top of the fifth with one on a wild pitch and the second on an Adam Baldwin single to plate Brian Belvin.
- After giving up single runs in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings, the Builders put up another four-spot in the top of the seventh topped by a two-run double from Baldwin.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Junior Taylor Gomer saw his first action of 2015 and came out firing throwing five innings with 11 strikeouts and allowing six hits for his first win.
- Baldwin joins a lengthy list of players who have tied the school record with five hits in a game as he went 5-for-5. Lee Rossi did the feat earlier this season against New River CC on February 14.
- Brock Harris was 3-for-4 to go along with two-hit performances from Mark Labrador, Ryan Hendrickson and Wilber as the Builders slugged 18 hits in the opening game.
GAME 2 HOW THEY SCORED
- The Builders got on the board in the bottom of the first behind singles from Labrador and Belvin before Hendrickson drove them both home with a two-run triple.
- In the third, the Builders pushed the advantage to 5-0 as with one out Labrador and Belvin each singled. Hendrickson then drove in Labrador with a single and both he and Belvin later scored on a Rossi double. Apprentice School scratched a run across in the bottom of the sixth on a wild pitch.
- Briarcliffe got a run in the top of the seventh on a Dromerhauser double to score Ben Wright who started the inning with a single.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Freshman Mike Brumfield evened his record at 1-1 on the year with a 12 strikeout, four-hit performance through 6.1 innings.
- Labrador, Hendrickson, Belvin and Rossi had two hits apiece for the Builders as Hendrickson drove in three and Rossi had two RBI.
Apprentice School will close out its three-day, six-game run in Vero Beach on Saturday with a 1pm contest against Bridgewater State College (MA) and a 4pm game against University of Miami-Ohio at Hamilton with both games played at Holman Stadium.