FINAL SCORE: Castleton State 6, Apprentice School 4
RECORDS: Castleton St. 3-2; Apprentice School 8-4
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Visiting Castleton State College scored three runs in the top of the ninth to rally and defeat Apprentice School 6-4 on Thursday evening.
HOW THEY SCORED
- Apprentice School got a run in the top of the first as with one out Mark Labrador singled and went to third on a double from Ryan Hendrickson. A balk was called on starting pitcher Steven Jurkiewicz to plate Labrador for an early 1-0 lead.
- In the third, the Builders pushed another run across as with one out Brock Harris doubled to left-center and scored on a single down the right field line from Labrador.
- The Spartans tied it with a pair in the top of the fourth as Tyler Hoare started with a single and stole second before scoring on a Nate Swahn double to center. Swahn scored on an error to tie the game at 2-all.
- Apprentice School answered with a pair of runs in its half of the fourth as Jordan Wright started with a single and went to second on a groundout. Jacob Countiss followed with a single to left field allowing Wright to score. Harris moved up Countiss to second with a single and later advanced to third on a wild pitch. Labrador plated Countiss with a sacrifice fly to lead 4-2.
- Castleton scratched a run across in the top of the sixth as Hoare was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a wild pitch. After a strikeout, Swahn followed with a single up the middle to plate Hoare cutting the deficit to 4-3.
- In the ninth, the Spartans scored three times as Dan Errico singled in Soren Pelz-Walsh for the go-ahead run.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Hoare, Swahn and Jimmy Buckley had two hits each for the Spartans, while Swahn drove in a pair of runs.
- Scott Michaels picked up the win throwing five innings of shutout ball allowing no hits and striking out eight for Castleton State.
- The Builders were topped by Harris, Hendrickson and Labrador with two hits each and Labrador drove in two runs to lead the team. Sam Massie picked up the loss in relief to even his record at 1-1.
These teams will meet again on Friday at 2pm at War Memorial Stadium.