FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 5, College of St. Joseph's 3
RECORDS: Apprentice School 9-8; College of St. Joseph's 20-13
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: The baseball team snapped a five-game losing skid on Friday as the Builders rode a complete game performance from Mike Brumfield to defeat College of St. Joseph's 5-3.
HOW THEY SCORED
- In the second inning, the Builders got on the scoreboard as Christian Burton started the inning with a double and went to third as Collin Wilber reached on a dropped fly ball. A walk to Thomas Richardson loaded the bases and Jordan Cowles follwed with a walk of his own to score Burton for a 1-0 lead.
- Each team scored two runs in the fourth inning as Tyler Demers and Nestor Velazquez drove in runs with singles for the Saints in the top half of the inning to put them ahead 2-1.
- In the home half of the inning, Wilber started with a single and went to second on a sacrifice by Thomas Richardson. A pair of walks to Cowles and Jordan Wright loaded the bases before a single to center from Jacob Countiss scored Cowles and Wilber for a 3-2 Apprentice School lead.
- College of St. Joseph's put up a run in the top of the sixth as with two outs Nick Pascarella started with a single. Daniel Pena came into run for him and immediately stole second and scored on a Velazquez double to tie the game at 3-all.
- The Builders took the lead again in the sixth as singles from Lee Rossi and Ryan Hendrickson put runners on the corners. Burton followed with a single through the left side to take a 4-3 lead and he later scored on a wild pitch for the 5-3 lead.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Brumfield threw his first complete game of the season as he struck out six and allowed 10 hits in getting his second victory in three decisions.
- The Builders played small-ball setting a single-game mark with four sacrifice hits as Brumfield and Richardson had two apiece to tie the individual single-game mark for sacrifice hits.
- Burton was 3-for-5 to lead the Builders at the plate, while Countiss drove in two runs to lead in the RBI category for the Builders.
- Connor Martin joined Velazquez and Pascarella with two hits apiece to lead the Saints at the plate. Tyler Kuntzmann took the loss for the Saints as he threw the last three innings and allowed five hits and two runs.
The Builders and Saints will finish off their three-game series with a 10am game Saturday morning. Apprentice School will then face Tufts University i na 4pm matchup to close out the weekend. St. Joseph's will take on the Jumbos in a 1pm matchup as wel lat War Memorial Stadium.