SCORES: Apprentice School 3, Penn St. Brandywine 1
Penn St. Brandywine 7, Apprentice School 1
RECORDS: Apprentice School 15-11, Penn St. Brandywine 7-10
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School ended a three-game series with Penn State Brandywine on Saturday with a doubleheader split as the Builders won the opener 3-1 and lost the nightcap 7-1.
ON THE FIELD – GAME 1
- A pitchers dual between Jonathan Long and Brian Bosco saw neither team score in the first five innings as each pitcher allowed three hits in those first five innings.
- The Lions drew first mark on the scoreboard with a run in the sixth as Evan Cline reached on an error and advanced to second. A groundout moved him to third where with two outs he scored as Steve Trainor reached on an error.
- In the home half of the sixth, the Builders cracked Bosco for three runs and all with two outs. Lee Rossi walked and went to second on a single by Christian Burton. Mike Brumfield followed with a single to center to allow Rossi to score and tie the game at 1-all.
- Following a change of pitchers, Brumfield stole second and then had walks to Collin Wilber, Jacob Countiss and Thomas Richardson. The last two brought in Burton and Brumfield respectively for a 3-1 Apprentice School lead.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Long and Sam Massie combined for a three-hitter as Massie earned his second win of the year with 1.2 innings of relief. Burton was 2-for-3 to lead the Builders at the plate.
- Bosco took the loss for Penn State Brandywine throwing 5.2 innings and allowing six hits, three runs and struck out three while walking three.
ON THE FIELD – GAME 2
- The visitors scored three runs in the top of the second on a bases loaded walk to Josh Dellipriscolli, a groundout by Drew McMenamin and an error. In the third, they put up four more with Delliproscolli driving in two with a single to highlight the inning.
- Apprentice School scratched a run in the seventh as with two outs, Mark Labrador singled and scored on a triple by Ryan Hendrickson.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The first eight Builders in the lineup for game two all had a hit apiece as Tyler Woodhouse took the loss throwing 2.1 innings and allowing five hits along with seven runs.
- Dellipriscolli and Tom Osenbach had two hits apiece for Penn State Brandywine as Carmen Scota took the win allowing eight hits and striking out two in going the distance.
NEXT UP – CNU
The Builders are back in action on Sunday afternoon at 2 pm when they face Christopher Newport University at War Memorial Stadium.