FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 4, Va. State 2 - Game 1
Va. State 17, Apprentice School 3 - Game 2
RECORDS: Apprentice School 19-13; Va. State 23-11
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: In the first two of a three-game series with the NCAA Division II Trojans, the Builders split a doubleheader on Tuesday winning the opener 4-2 and falling 17-3 in the nightcap.
HOW THEY SCORED - Game 1
- The Builders opened the scoring in the third inning as with one out Thomas Richardson reached second on a throwing error and went to third on a Brock Harris single up the middle. After Harris stole second, Mark Labrador brought in Richardson with a sacrifice fly to centerfield for a 1-0 lead.
- Apprentice School put up three runs in the bottom of the fourth as Lee Rossi opened with a double and Christian Burton drew a walk to put runners at first and second. Collin Wilber singled through the left side to score Rossi and he took second on the throw home in an attempt to get Rossi.
- With runners at second and third, Jacob Countiss brought in Burton with a sacrifice fly to center. Jordan Cowles followed with a single up the middle to score Wilber for a 4-0 lead.
- The Trojans pushed two runs across in the top of the sixth as Nick Christopher walked and scored on a one-out double from David Markins. A groundout moved Markins to third and he scored on a single by Corey Grant.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Taylor Gomer threw six innings for the Builders to get his fifth win on the year. He struck out five and allowed four hits in his outing. Sam Massie pitched the seventh for his second save of the year allowing one hit and striking out three.
- Wilber was the lone multi-hit person for the Builders going 2-for-2 with a run scored and drove in one.
- Darryl Williams took the loss for the Trojans allowing seven hits in six innings with a walk and a strikeout. David Markins and Grant were 2-for-3 apiece to lead Virginia State at the plate.
HOW THEY SCORED - Game 2
- The Builders opened with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first as with one out, Labrador singled and went to third on a Ryan Hendrickson single. Following a Hendrickson steal of second and a fly out, Burton doubled in both runs with a blast to left center.
- Virginia State pushed a run across in the top of the second as Colton Gunn doubled. A walk to to Grant and a Jay Dee Johnson single loaded the bases as Jamison Griffin drove in a run with a fielder's choice to cut the deficit to 2-1.
- Apprentice School pushed a run across in the second as Cody Norris walked and went to second on a Richardson single. Harris followed with a single up the middle to plate Norris for a 3-1 lead.
- The Trojans put the game away with a 13-run third inning and added three more in the fifth on a three-run home run from Griffin for the 17-3 win.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Mike Brumfield took the loss for the Builders in game two throwing 2.2 innings and allowing six hits, seven runs, one earned run and struck out two. He is now 3-2 on the year.
- Hendrickson was 2-for-2 with a run scored, while Richardson was 2-for-3 for the Builders who had eight hits in game two.
- Colton Gunn went the distance for his fifth win in seven decisions for the Trojans allowing eight hits and striking out six.
- Griffin was strong for the Trojans at the plate going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and driving in seven. Johnson also had three hits going 3-for-3. Christopher was 4-for-5 with two runs scored and drove in a pair as well.
NEXT UP - Game Three
This three-game series now shifts to Petersburg on Friday afternoon for a 2pm single-game on the campus of Virginia State University.