FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 4, Virginia State 3
RECORDS: Apprentice School 20-13; Virginia State 23-12
LOCATION: Whaley-Colbert Field/Ettrick, VA
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School baseball finished a three-game series with NCAA Division II Virginia State University and took a 4-3 win on Friday afternoon in Ettrick.
HOW THEY SCORED
- The Builders got on the scoreboard in the second with a pair of runs as Christian Burton started the inning with a single and advanced to second as Jacob Countiss was hit by a pitch. After a fly out, both runners moved up on a wild pitch. Thomas Richardson singled in Burton and Brock Harris followed with a double to score Countiss for a 2-0 lead.
- In the fifth, Mark Labrador started with a triple and scored as Lee Rossi hit a ground ball to short and the catcher dropped the throw home in an attempt to get Labrador as the Builders went up 3-0.
- The Trojans got on the board with a run in the fifth as Darryl Williams started with a single and scored as Nick Christopher ripped a two-out triple to left-center as the hosts now trailed 3-1.
- Each team scored a run in the seventh as Thomas Richardson doubled and went to third on a sacrifice from Harris. He later scored on a wild pitch to put the Builders up 4-1.
- The hosts scratched a run as with one out, Jamison Griffin was hit by a pitch and stole second before scoring on an error to bring VSU to 4-2. In the eighth, the Trojans scored another as Josh Markins singled and went to second on a walk to Corey Grant. Colton Gunn followed by reaching on an error which allowed Markins to score.
GAME ENDING NINTH
- The Trojans made it definitely entertaining in the ninth as Christopher singled with one out and went to third on a double by Zachary Jordan. Joshua Markins was intentionally walked to load the bases to bring up his brother David. On a 3-2 pitch, Markins lifted a fly ball to medium right field as Labrador snagged it and threw out Christopher at the plate to end the game.
OUTFIELD DOUBLE PLAYS
- That was not the only outfield double-play by the Builders on Friday as in the sixth, Joshua Markins reached on an error and went to second on a single by David Markins. Tyler Coleman lifted a fly ball to left field and Lee Rossi caught Joshua Markins too far off second base.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Freshman Jonathan Long earned his fourth win in five decisions throwing six innings allowing six hits, one run and striking out a season-high six.
- Sam Massie threw the final three innings and earned his third save of the year. He struck out four, allowed three hits and one earned run.
- Richardson was the lone Builder to have two hits in the game going 2-for-4 with a run scored and drove in a run as the Builders had nine hits in the contest.
- VSU had four players with two hits as Christopher and Joshua Markins were 2-for-4 each and the tandem of Zachary Jordan and David Markins were 2-for-5 apiece.
- Nathan Anger took the loss throwing the first three innings and allowing four hits and two runs. Grant threw the final six and allowed five hits, two runs and walked two.
The Builders head to Danville Community College for a 12pm scheduled doubleheader at Dan Daniels Park.