FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 5, Danville CC 2
RECORDS: Apprentice School 21-13; Danville CC 14-21
LOCATION: Dan Daniels Park/Danville, VA
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School closed out its road schedule on Saturday with a 5-2 win over Danville Community College in a game stopped after eight innings by rain.
HOW THEY SCORED
- The Builders opened the scoring with a pair of runs in the top of the first inning as Mark Labrador reached on an error and Ryan Hendrickson drew a walk. A single by Lee Rossi loaded the bases before Jacob Countiss drove in Labrador and Hendrickson with a two-out, two-run single.
- The Knights scratched a run in the home half of the first as with two outs Bradley Tickle singled up the middle to score Austin Lee who started the inning with a walk.
- In the bottom of the third, the Knights tied the game as Lee started with a walk and went to second on a sacrifice. He went to third as Dylan Raymond singled to right and scored as Tickle grounded out.
- As the rain started to fall, the Builders broke the tie with a run in the sixth. With one out, Christian Burton singled to right and went to third as Collin Wilber beat out an infield single and the throw got by the first baseman to allow Wilber to go to third. Jordan Cowles followed with a groundball to the second baseman who threw it wild to first allowing Wilber to score.
- In the seventh, the Builders scored twice on sacrifice flies from Hendrickson and Burton to score Jordan Wright and Labrador.
OUTFIELD ARM PART TWO
- After Friday's throwing out of a runner at the plate by Labrador to end the game at Virginia State, the Builders pulled another one on Saturday. Danville CC had a chance to take the lead in the fifth inning as Lee started with a walk and was sacrificed to second. After a fly out, Tickle singled to center where Harris snared the single and threw out Lee at the plate to end the inning.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Harris, Rossi and Wilber all had two hits for the Builders on Saturday. Harris and Rossi were 2-for-4, while Wilber was 2-for-3. Labrador scored two runs, while Countiss drove in two runs.
- Mike Brumfield took the win throwing two innings in relief of starter Taylor Gomer. Brumfield allowed three hits and struck out two in his outing to put his record at 4-2.
- Sam Massie earned his second save of the weekend and fourth on the year with a scoreless eighth inning while striking out two of the three.
- Tickle and Bryant Cook each went 2-for-4 to lead Danville Community College. Kyle Kadlub was the losing pitcher allowing a run and three hits in two innings of relief.
NEXT UP - SENIOR NIGHT
The Builders will close out their regular season on Thursday at 5 pm when they host Thomas Nelson Community COllege for Senior Night.