FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 13, Thomas Nelson CC 2
RECORDS: Apprentice School 22-13; Thomas Nelson CC 9-22
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Jacob Countiss had a career night going 4-for-6 with a pair of 2-run home runs and a pair of doubles as the Builders celebrated Senior Night with a 13-2 win over Thomas Nelson CC.
HOW THEY SCORED
- The Builders broke open the game quickly with a four-run first inning. Countiss doubled to left field to start the game and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Following walks to Thomas Richardson and Lee Rossi, Christian Burton hit a sacrifice fly to center which plated Countiss. After a walk to Cody Norris to load the bases, Edwin Suarez smacked a single to left field to score Rossi and Richardson. Jacob Cowles follwed with a single to center to score Norris as the hosts took a 4-0 lead.
- In the second, the Builders put up a pair of runs. With one out, Richardson singled to center and stole second before scoring on a Ryan Hendrickson single. He advanced to second on a wild pitch and went to third on a Rossi single before Burton singled up the middle to score Hendrickson for a 6-0 lead.
- Apprentice School got three more in the bottom of the third as Cowles started with a walk before Countiss took his first home run over the left field wall. Richardson followed with a single and went to third on a Rossi single. Burton followed with a double to right center to score Richardson to take a 9-0 advantage.
- The Gators clawed on the board with a pair of runs in the top of the fourth as Jahleel Sewer doubled to left center and scored on a groundout from Aaron Sola. After Russell Hall was hit by a pitch, Caleb Hertzler walked with both runners moving up on a wild pitch. CJ Landrom then singled to center to score Hall to trim the margin to 9-2.
- In the home half of the inning, the Builders got three more on the board with two coming on Countiss' second two-run shot of the game to take a 12-2 lead. The Builders got one more on the board in the sixth as Hayden Champigny drew a leadoff walk and went to third on the second double of the night for Countiss. Following a groundout, Hendrickson drew a walk and Rossi followed with a run scoring single to plate Champigny for a 13-2 lead.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Three Builders joined Countiss in the three hits, or more, club Thursday night. Richardson was 3-for-5 with three runs scored, Rossi was 3-for-4 with a run and a run batted in, while Burton was 3-for-3 and drove in three runs. Suarez was 2-for-5 and drove in a pair of runs as the Builders had 17 hits in the game.
- In a game where eight pitchers saw action for the Builders, sophomore James Anthony took the win throwing an inning to put his record at 1-3.
- Landrom was 3-for-4 with two doubles for Thomas Nelson Community College (9-22), while Sewer was 2-for-4 also with a pair of doubles. Eddie Rivera took the loss throwing three innings and allowing 11 hits and nine runs.
BIG DAY FOR COUNTISS
- The sophomore second baseman had a night to remember with his four hits, four RBI, two home run performance. Countiss became the first Builder to have a pair of home runs in a game since Devorn Lake had two blasts on April 10, 2013 at the College of Albemarle. His 12 total bases broke the single-game mark of 11 held by Jonathan Dehoux against Lock Haven on Feb. 21, 2009 and Ryan Scott against Virginia State on April 11, 2006.
SENIORS HONORED PRE-GAME
- Prior to the start of the game the seven-member senior class of the Builders were honored and all seven started the game. The seniors were removed from the game one at a time to a rousing ovation from the crowd and hugs from teammates.
NEXT UP - ADDITIONAL GAMES
- The Builders have added a doubleheader on Thursday, May 7 against Thomas Nelson CC at home to start at 2 pm.