FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 4, Rochester College 1
RECORDS: Apprentice School 25-13; Rochester College 18-15
SEEDINGS: Apprentice School #5; Rochester College #4
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Junior Taylor Gomer struck out 12, one off the tournament record, as the Apprentice School defeated Rochester College 4-1 in the first round of the 2015 USCAA Small College World Series at War Memorial Stadium.
HOW THEY SCORED
- The Builders put two runs up in the first inning with two outs. Ryan Hendrickson and Lee Rossi walked before Christian Burton singled to right to score Hendrickson. Jacob Countiss then singled to right field to score Rossi for a 2-0 Apprentice School lead.
- In the fifth inning, the Builders scored two more as Mark Labrador walked and went to second on a sacrifice by Hendrickson. On ball four to Rossi, the pitch got by the catcher with Labrador running and he scored. Countiss reached on an error to plate Rossi to give the Builders a 4-0 lead.
- Rochester got on the board in the bottom of the inning as with two outs, Blake German walked and went to second on a Brandon Dupuis single. Luke Strobl followed with a single to center to score German as the Warriors trimmed the deficit to 4-1.
Rochester made a threat in the bottom of the seventh as Tyler Provow struck out to start the inning and German singled to shortstop. After a fly out, Strobl reached on an error for runners at first and second. Chaz Hill hit a grounder to Thomas Richardson at short, the throw was bobbled in an attempt to get Strobl but German never stopped running and Countiss threw a strike to Collin Wilber at the plate to get German to end the game.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Burton was 2-for-4 for the Builders who were out-hit 8-4 in the game. The Builders took advantage of eight walks by the Warriors.
- Dupuis was 2-for-4 for Rochester College (18-15) to lead them at the plate. Alex Riopelle took the loss for the Warriors as he went five innings with three hits, four strikeouts and seven walks.
Gomer was one off the tournament record with his 12 strikeout performance. The first seven strikeouts were all looking as he went the distance to put his record at 7-3.
Apprentice School takes on top-seeded Illinois Tech at 1:30 pm on Thursday afternoon in the winners bracket semifinals. Rochester College faces Penn State Beaver in an 8:30 am elimination game Thursday morning.