FINAL SCORE: Muhlenberg 59, Apprentice School 6
RECORDS: Muhlenberg 1-0, Apprentice School 0-1
WHERE: Scotty Wood Stadium – Allentown, PA
IN BRIEF: Quarterback Joe Carlucci threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more as homestanding Muhlenberg College scored a 59-6 win over The Apprentice School in the 2013 football opener on Saturday.
For the entire first quarter the Mules kept the Builders pinned deep in their own end of the field. The Mules jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter as Carlucci hit Michael Long with a three-yard scoring pass with 13:23 left in the half.
Apprentice School used a 28-yard punt return from Kyle Elmore to set themselves up with outstanding field position at the Builder 48. A pass interference penalty on the Mules put the Builders into Muhlenberg territory for the first time. Jonathan Whelan connected with Elmore on a 14-yard scoring pass with 7:22 left for the lone Apprentice School touchdown.
- Whelan started the game connecting on his first six passes and finished 18-of-31 for 120 yards and the one touchdown.
- He was also the leading rusher in the game for the Builders running 17 times for 43 yards. Sophomore Leonard Leak was next with 10 carries for 27 yards.
- Elmore and fellow freshman Chase Donahue caught four passes apiece to lead the receivers. Donahue caught four for 31 yards, while Elmore had four for 35 yards and the one touchdown.
- Last year's top tacklers started the season in the same role as Brock Bullock (14 tackles) and Izhia Roundtree (11) headed the defense.
- Bullock recorded a career-best 14 tackles on the day which topped his previous best of 13 against LaGrange College on Oct. 29, 2011.
- Roundtree was one tackle from tying his career high as he had 12 at Greensboro College on Sept. 15, 2012.
- Whelan had career-highs on the ground with his 17 carries for 43 yards.
Apprentice School travels to Washington, DC and faces Gallaudet University in a 1pm kickoff at Hotchkiss Field on the Gallaudet campus.