FINAL SCORE: Gallaudet 38, Apprentice School 14
RECORDS: Apprentice School 0-2, Gallaudet 2-0
WHERE: Hotchkiss Field -- Washington, DC
IN BRIEF: Homestanding Gallaudet University rode a powerful running attack on Saturday afternoon as they pulled away from The Apprentice School for a 38-14 victory at Hotchkiss Field.
The Bison ran 75 times on the day for 371 yards as starting quarterback Todd Bonheyo ran 23 times for 114 yards. He was joined in the 100-yard club by BJ Flores who ran nine times for 101 yards. Braxton Baker scored twice to lead the Bison in the end zone.
The Builders forced a Gallaudet fumble to help set up the first touchdown as Erol Carter recovered the ball on the Gallaudet 34. Following a 19-yard Jonathan Whelan completion to Chase Donahue, and a roughing the passer penalty, that same tandem struck again on a seven-yard scoring pass with 5:49 left in the opening quarter to tie the game at 7-all.
Gallaudet responded with the next three touchdowns before the Builders got onto the scoring column again as Whelan connected with Travis Turbin on a six-yard scoring pass to cap a seven-play, 43-yard drive. Volodymir Phillips hit the extra-point attempt to cut the deficit to 28-14 with 3:39 left in the third quarter.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Leonard Leak topped the Builders on the ground with nine carries for 46 yards.
- Whelan was 20-of-36 in the air for 189 yards and two touchdowns.
- As a team, the Builders had six turnovers on the day with five coming through the air.
- Brock Bullock had his second straight monster game on defense recording a new career-high 18 tackles. Izhia Roundtree (15) and Carter (14) joined him in double figures.
- With his 18 tackles today, Brock Bullock tied the second most tackles in a game. He matched Ricky Wilkerson who had 18 against Emory & Henry on Sep. 23, 2006.
- With his two fumble recoveries today, Erol Carter ties school record for fumble recoveries in a game. It was last done by Aaron Finley against Greensboro on Sep. 17, 2011.
- Whelan's 20 completions are a career best topping 19 v. Muhlenberg in the 2012 season opener
- Donahue catching 10 passes is the first time the Builders have had a receiver with 10 or more catches in almost five years as Bryan Cain (13) and Markim Gordon (14) did it against Lake Erie on Oct. 11, 2008
The Builders will open their home schedule on September 21 when they face Greensboro College (0-2) at 1 pm