FINAL SCORE: Ave Maria 42, Apprentice School 21
RECORDS: Ave Maria 8-2, Apprentice School 1-9
LOCATION: Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: Freshman quarterback Clayton Uecker threw for 405 yards and four touchdowns as visiting Ave Maria University jumped out to a 21-0 lead and scored a 42-21 victory over The Apprentice School on Senior Day at Apprentice Field.
Apprentice School got on the scoreboard with 8:28 left in the third quarter as quarterback Jonathan Whelan scrambled to his left, toward the Apprentice sideline, and found freshman Kyle Elmore alone in the end zone for a 38-yard scoring pass. The extra-point attempt cut the deficit to 21-7.
Uecker threw a pair of touchdown passes in the third quarter as the Gyrenes, who were receiving votes in the NAIA Coaches Poll, put up 21 points. He found Karim Bryant on a 69-yard scoring strike and Scott Jones on a two-yard pass to put the visitors up 35-7 with 2:14 left in the third.
The Builders answered with a pair of touchdown passes as Whelan found senior Odis Wesby on a seven-yard pass with 12 seconds left in the third and then connected with senior Cody Peters on a 10-yard pass with 8:34 left to bring the Builders back to within two touchdowns at 35-21.
Uecker put the final points on the board on a 15-yard connection to Scott Jones with 4:34 left for a 42-21 score.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Freshman Joseph Hodge topped the Builders on the ground with 20 carries for 113 yards. That is the first time a Builder running back went over 100 yards since Jodey McNeil did the trick against Coppin State on Sept. 8, 2012 for 146 yards.
- McNeil was next in the rushing attack with 11 carries for 78 yards.
- Senior Izhia Roundtree finished his career with 1,010 return yards making him the third Builder to break that mark in a career since 1985.
- Senior Brock Bullock ended his career with a 12-tackle performance to break the career tackle mark with 307. He also had his first two collegiate interceptions, in his final Apprentice School game. That was the first time a Builder had two interceptions in a game since Franako Smith did against Morrisville State on Oct. 6, 2007.
- Whelan threw for 287 yards and three touchdowns completing 21-of-38 passes. He was an equal opportunity quarterback as three receivers caught two passes each, one caught three and three caught four passes each.
- Senior Marlon Lane had nine tackles, eight solo, and had two pass breakups. Junior Ty Washington matched thise nine tackles and had one pass breakup.
BEHIND THE RECORD BOOK
Final records set by the Builders in 2013 included:
- Brock Bullock broke the single game tackle mark (24 v. Southern Va., 10/18/13), single-season tackles (142) and career tackles (307).
- Marlon Lane ended with the school career record for fumble return yards (152) and fumble returns for touchdowns (4)
- Offensively, the Builders set records for passing attempts (323) and passing yards (1846), while throwing for the second most touchdowns with 16.
- Jonathan Whelan threw for a single-season record 1796 yards and set a total offense record with 1858 yards.