The 2013 Apprentice School football team passed out their individual awards at its annual Awards Banquet on Thursday night.
The following were recipients of team and individual awards.
Pop Lamkin--Erol Carter
Presented to the apprentice football player who consistently displays a positive and cooperative attitude enthusiastic support of team members excellent attendance and effective and consistent communication with the coaches and fellow players.
- 34 solo tackles, 34 assisted tackles
- Career-high 14 tackles, 4 tackles for loss a sack and 2 fumble recoveries at Gallaudet University
- Eighth in the USCAA in sacks and in the top 15 in tackles and tackles per game
- Second Team All-USCAA selection at defensive line
- A junior molder apprentice from Baker Co., FL.
Builder Award--Marlon Lane
The Builder Award is presented on behalf of the Apprentice Athletic Club to a student-athlete from each sport that has demonstrated excellence in four areas of their apprenticeship – Craftsmanship, Scholarship, Leadership and Sportsmanship. A candidate is selected based on their average shop grade over the course of their apprenticeship, the cumulative academic GPA in the World Class Shipbuilding and/or Advanced Curriculum, conduct on the job and the classroom, attendance and their overall athletic contributions to their sport over the course of the past year. Each year the Apprentice Athletic Club presents this award to the student-athlete who embodies the true characteristics necessary to be a great Builder but more importantly a great Shipbuilder.
This year's recipient of the Builder Award has demonstrated excellence in their craft, academic and conduct during their apprenticeship, scoring in the top 10% of the grading scale in two out three of these areas of performance.
- As a defensive player, he scored 6 touchdowns in his career and blocked 4 kicks
- Career leader in fumble returns for touchdowns with 4
- Ranked in the top two in 12 single-season and career categories
- Had 13 tackles this year against Coppin State University.
- Long arms helped him patrol the defensive backfield for four years and rank third in passes defended
- A senior maintenance electrician apprentice from Birmingham, AL
Offensive Player Of The Year--Derek Banks
- In 7 of his 9 games played, he caught at least 3 passes
- Scored touchdowns against Alfred State and Southern Virginia University
- Season high 71 yards against Coppin State University – caught season-best 7 passes against Edward Waters College
- Ninth in the USCAA in receptions (29) and yards per catch (11.2)
- A junior electrician apprentice from Newport News, VA
Defensive Player Of The Year --Brock Bullock
- Rewrote the tackle records this year as he set the single game, single season and career records
- Topped the USCAA in tackles, tackles per game
- USCAA Player of the Week after setting single-game record with 24 at Southern Virginia
- First Builder football player to finish a career with over 300 tackles
- 8 games of double figures – 6 games with 14 or more tackles
- First Team All-USCAA Linebacker; First Team CoSIDA Academic All-District; USCAA All-Academic Team
- A senior electrician apprentice from Courtland, VA
Offensive Freshman Of The Year--Chase Donahue
- Topped the USCAA in receptions per game (4.9) and fifth in receptions (39).
- Was the leading receiver for the Builders as a freshman.
- Caught second most yards in a game since 1985 with 204 yards against Alfred State (only second 200-yard receiving game since 1985.
- Season-high 10 catches at Gallaudet – caught two touchdown passes against Greensboro College.
- A freshman insulator apprentice from Jesup, GA
Defensive Freshman Of The Year--Shawn Way
- Had 28 solo tackles, 11 assisted tackles as a full-time starter in the defensive backfield
- Recorded interceptions against Gallaudet University and Coppin State University.
- Had two pass breakups against Coppin State
- Season high six tackles against Edward Waters College – had five tackles twice and four on four occasions.
- A freshman sheet metal apprentice from Sumter, SC