FINAL SCORE: Bluefield 46, Apprentice School 24
RECORDS: Bluefield 1-2; Apprentice School 0-2
LOCATION: Apprentice Field/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: Visiting Bluefield College scored on its first three possessions to race out to a 21-6 lead en route to a 46-24 win over The Apprentice School in front of over 2,700 on Trades Day and Homecoming on Saturday.
ON THE FIELD
- The Rams wasted little time in getting on the scoreboard taking their first possession and marching 85 yards in nine plays as Sam Bennett finished it with a one-yard scoring run to give Bluefield a 7-0 lead with 10:09 left in the first quarter.
- Apprentice School responded with a five-play, 65-yard scoring drive with sophomore Joseph Hodge scoring on a three-yard run. The extra-point attempt was blocked and returned for a 2-point conversion as Bluefield took an 8-6 lead with 8:04 left.
- Bluefield answered that touchdown with another scoring drive as Adrian Pope finished a seven-play, 74-yard scoring drive with a six-yard run. This time the Builders did the blocking on the extra-point attempt as Ryan Ransom swatted the conversion attempt to keep Bluefield ahead 14-6 with 5:23 left in the first quarter.
- The Builders were forced to punt on their next series, and pinned the Rams deep in their own end at the nine yardline. Bluefield covered the 91 yards in 14 plays as Quincey Mock scored on a four-yard run with 11 minutes left to go up 21-6. Quarterback Ashten Dixon set up the drive with a pair of runs late to get the ball at the four-yardline.
- After each team forcing the other to punt on the next two series, the Rams closed the first half with an 82-yard scoring drive as Dixon finished with a five-yard scoring run to go up 28-6 with 48 seconds left in the first half.
- Apprentice School got the scoring started in the second half as freshman Raheem Cooper snared a deflected Dixon pass and returned it 31-yards for a touchdown. As the receiver was falling he lost the ball and it bounced off his foot into the hands of Cooper for the touchdown. The extra-point attempt was no good and the Builders trailed 28-12 just 15 seconds into the third quarter.
- The Rams made quick work of their first touchdown in the quarter as Marion Harris took off around the right side and went 43-yards for a touchdown with 8:47 left to put the Rams up 35-12.
- The Builders responded with a seven-play, 65-yard drive as Caleb Heath connected with Trevon Johnson on a 43-yard scoring pass with 3:59 left to trail 35-18.
- Dixon threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to close out the third quarter scoring to Isaiah Martin as Bluefield held a 42-18 lead with 2:13 left.
- In the fourth quarter, Heath connected with JaMarcus Culp on a seven-yard scoring pass with 7:56 left. On a fourth down and seven, Heath scrambled back to nearly the 25-yardline and threw a floater in the middle of three Apprentice School receivers which Culp came away with the reception.
- Bluefield finished the scoring, in a driving rain, with a pair of safeties in the final four minutes to take the 46-24 win.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Trevon Johnson just missed his second 100-yard reception game as he caught a game-high four passes for 98-yards.
- Heath threw for two touchdowns going 15-of-23 for 175 yards.
- Three Builders shared game-high honors with 11 tackles each. Ryan Ransom had 4.5 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles in his 11 tackles. Sophomore Brandon Hampton had 11 tackles and one for a loss, while senior Erol Carter had two tackles for a loss in his 11 on the game.
The Builders will be on the road for the first time in 2014 on Saturday, Sept. 20 when they visit Catholic University for a 1pm kickoff in Washington, DC. Catholic lost its opener 34-31 to McDaniel College on September 6.
Photo courtesy of: Jack Goode USMMA Alumni