FINAL SCORE: Bridgewater 32, Apprentice School 16
RECORDS: Bridgewater 3-0, Apprentice School 0-4
LOCATION: Apprentice Field/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: A Builder rally was thwarted by pair of fourth quarter interceptions from Bridgewater's Darrick Gore to help push the visiting Eagles over The Apprentice School 32-16 on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- Bridgewater opened the scoring on its first series after taking advantage of great field position. Jacob Wright got around left end and scampered 29 yards to give the Eagles a 7-0 lead with 12:10 left.
- Their defense put up the next points as Lucas Elliott tackled Apprentice School quarterback Deon Lavender in the end zone for a safety and a 9-0 Bridgewater lead just 64 seconds later.
- The teams traded stops throughout the first quarter before Bridgewater's Collin DeHaven hit a 28-yard field goal on their first possession of the second quarter for a 12-0 lead with 13:11 left in the half.
- The Builders started to gain some momentum scoring on their next two possessions. An eight-play, 65-yard drive was finished off by a Brandon Jordan one-yard run with 8:46 left to trim the deficit to 12-7.
- On their next series, the Builders marched 71-yards on nine plays as Tylee Smith scored on a 32-yard reverse on a key 4th down play to give the hosts a 14-12 lead with 2:37 left in the half.
- The Eagles used two big pass plays on their final drive of the half to score a touchdown as Matt Pisarcik connected with Cliff Woodard on a 31-yard corner route for a go-ahead touchdown and an 18-14 Bridgewater lead with 1:48 left in the half.
- In the third quarter, the Builders got into the safety act as on a fourth-down punt by Bridgewater from its own 23, the snap sailed over the punters head and through the end zone as the hosts now trailed 18-16 with 3:18 left in the quarter.
- Bridgewater scored twice in the span of 130 seconds to pull out any hope of an Apprentice School comeback. Darrick Gore picked off a Lavender pass and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown with 11:30 left to lead 25-16.
- He struck again on the next Builder series as he snagged his second interception falling out of bounds on the Apprentice School 21. Two plays later, Ross Rushing found Woodard on a 24-yard scoring pass to go up 32-16 with 9:20 remaining.
- The Builders were 2-for-2 on fourth down conversions and both were huge plays. On the first touchdown drive, a fourth down and two from the Bridgewater 47 saw Lavender connect with Trevon Johnson on a 46-yard pass that saw him come just short of scoring as Daniel Brent stopped him on the one. The next touchdown was scored on a fourth down and five from the Bridgewater 32 as Smith came around the right side and darted his way through the defense for a touchdown.
- Apprentice School outgained Bridgewater 227-220 in total offense and held the Eagles to 11 yards rushing on 25 carries. That equals the third lowest total an opponent has ran for against the Builders in the last 15 years, tying the 11 yards Frostburg State University ran for on September 11, 2004.
- Lavender was 15-of-23 for 136 yards through the air as Brandon Jordan caught a team-high four passes. Johnson had three receptions for 76 yards, while Smith added three receptions. Jordan was the leading ground gainer with 53 yards on 14 carries, while Hodge had 52 on 18 carries.
FOR THE GUESTS
- Two Bridgewater quarterbacks threw for a combined 209 yards and two touchdowns as Pisarcik was 9-for-19 for 109, while Rushing was 7-for-18 for 100.
- Return specialist Jordan Hartman was a hard man for the Builders to bring down as he had 199 yards in returns, including a 40-yard punt return in nine returns.
The Builders are now on the road for the month of October as they'll start in Alfred, NY to face United States Collegiate Athletic Association member Alfred State at noon on October 4.