FINAL SCORE: Coppin State 12, Apprentice School 6
RECORDS: Apprentice School 0-6; Coppin State 4-0
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
IN BRIEF: A wild final 1:48 saw the Apprentice School drive 93 yards, but a final pass was broken up in the end zone as the Builders fell 12-6 to Coppin State University on Saturday.
ON THE FIELD
- A slow first quarter saw neither team able to punch the ball in the end zone. Each team had lengthy drives on their first possessions, as Coppin was stopped on the Builder nine on downs.
- The Builders first possession saw Deon Lavender complete a 64-yard pass to Trevon JOhnson to get the Builders to the Coppin 22. On the next play, a fumble stopped that momentum.
- In the second quarter, the Builders got first strike on the board on a 54-yard scoring drive that covered 4:49. A 13-yard run from Brandon Jordan and a 16-yard run from Michael Roberts helped get the Builders down to the Coppin 16. After a six-yard scamper from Joseph Hodge, Roberts connected with Johnson for a 10-yard scoring pass. The extra-point attempt failed as the Builders held a 6-0 lead with five minutes left.
- The hosts got on the scoreboard on their first possession of the second half. After a no-gain on the first play, Edwin Walker broke through the line and out-raced the Builders 80 yards to the end zone for a 6-all score with 9:56 left in the third quarter.
- On Coppin's next possession, they drove 85 yards in 13 plays as Dominique Jackson connected with Johnathan Clark on a 41-yard scoring pass with 29 seconds left to lead 12-6.
- The Builders turned the ball over on downs with 6:55 left as Coppin started an 11-play, 63-yard march but on a fourth and goal from the Builders four, Walker was stopped by Ty Washington and Leland Hamilton to give the Builders one last shot from the six.
THE LAST SERIES
- With no timeouts left and 94 yards needed for a game-winning score, the Builders started with a Coppin State penalty before a sack and a small completion got the Builders to the 16.
- Lavender came in after Roberts was knocked out with an injury and connected with Tylee Smith on a 34-yard pass to midfield. He followed with a scramble run that gained 15 yards to the Coppin 35.
- A 10-yard completion to Smith got the ball to the 25. After an incomplete pass, Lavender found Kyle Elmore on a 24-yard strike to the one.
- On the final play, the pass intended for Johnson was deflected off his shoulders.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Brandon Jordan was the leading rusher for the Builders with 62 yards on 11 carries.
- Lavender was 4-of-8 for 132 yards to lead the aerial game. As a team, the Builders were 11-of-24 with two interceptions for 173 yards.
- Tylee Smith caught four passes for 38 yards, while Johnson had two for 74, Elmore two for 36 and Stan Smith with two for 13.
- Defensively, Ty Washington, Santonio Wiggins and Leland Hamilton had eight tackles apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Edwin Walker ran 15 times for 138 yards and a touchdown to lead Coppin State.
- Dominique Jackson was 6-of-15 for 136 yards and a touchdown.
After a bye week on October 18, the Builders will head south to Jacksonville, Florida to face Edward Waters College on October 25 in a 3pm start.