FINAL SCORE: Ave Maria 35, Apprentice School 8
RECORDS: Ave Maria 5-6, Apprentice School 1-9
LOCATION: Ave Maria, FL
IN BRIEF: Freshman Deon Lavender threw for 194 yards and one touchdown as the Apprentice School closed out its season on Saturday with a 35-8 loss at Ave Maria University.
ON THE FIELD
- The Gyrenes got on the board with a pair of touchdown passes from Clayton Uecker in the first quarter. He hit Tyler Makauskas with a 13-yard strike with 11:17 left and then Johntavis Brown with a seven-yarder with 2:28 left to go up 14-0.
- In the second the Gyrenes went up 20-0 as Kaleb Coffee scored on a seven-yard run and the extra point attempt failed.
- The Builders got on the board as Lavender found senior Trevon Johnson with a 20-yard touchdown pass with 2:21 left.
- In the second half, the Builders defense came in to action and recorded a safety After a turnover on the Ave one-yardline, the Gyrenes Dustin Roberts was tackled in the end zone by Jermaine Morris for the safety and a 26-8 Ave lead with 1:26 left in the third.
- Uecker and Makauskas connected again for a 10-yard scoring pass in the fourth quarter with 10:50 left to go ahead 32-8.
- Brandon Leon hit his third field goal of the half, this time from 48 yards, for the final score of 35-8.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Lavender completed a season-best 20 passes in 34 attempts for a season-best 194 yards and a touchdown.
- Trevon Johnson and Stan Smith caught four passes each to lead the receivers. Johnson had 65 yards and a touchdown, while Smith had 47 yards.
- Brandon Jordan topped the ground game with 29 yards on 11 carries.
- Defensively, Jaelan Cotman, Travis Harris and John Pope topped the team with seven tackles each.
- Neither team could get a running game going as the Builders had 14 yards total, while the Gyrenes had 45.
- The 45 yards is the second lowest an opponent ran for on the Builders this season behind the 11 yards Bridgewater had on September 27.