FINAL SCORE: Bridgewater 34, Apprentice School 14
RECORDS: Bridgewater 2-1, Apprentice School 0-3
LOCATION: Bridgewater, Va.
IN BRIEF: The Builders score twice in the second half but Bridgewater's lead proves too much as the Eagles held on for the 34-14 win Saturday.
HOW THEY SCORED
- Bridgewater opened the scoring with a 41-yard Chandler DeHaven field goal with 5:33 remaining in the opening quarter.
- The Eagles added a pair of touchdowns in the second quarter. Nick Ollie capped off a 10-play, 65-yard drive with an 8-yard run to put Bridgewater up 10-0 at the 13:57 mark. On their next drive, Eagles quarterback Matt Pisarcik connected with Kevin Barr for a 17-yard score with 8:36 left on the clock. Bridgewater would take the 17-0 lead into the half.
- Brenden O'Neil found paydirt early in the second half with a 10-yard rushing touchdown. The 5-play, 62-yard drive put the Builders on the board, 17-7, with 11:26 to play in the third quarter.
- On the ensuing drive, Bridewater marched down the field to the Builders' 8-yard line, but on 3rd and 7, John Teats broke up a Pisarcik pass, forcing the Eagles to settle for a field goal. DeHaven missed the 26-yard attempt, but a roughing the kicker penalty allowed him a second chance, which he made to give Bridgewater a 20-7 lead with 9:36 left in the quarter.
- With 7:46 remaining in the third quarter, Anthony Lovelace gave the Eagles a 27-7 lead with a 6-yard run.
- Ross Rushing threw a 12-yard score to Dylan Horne with 11:33 to play in the fourth quarter, giving Bridgewater a 34-7 lead.
- The Builders wrapped up the scoring with 7:13 remaining in the game as O'Neill rushed 4 yards for his second touchdown on the day. The play capped off an 8-play, 71-yard drive.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
- Each team racked up 9 penalties: the Builders for 54 yards, the Eagles for 70 yards.
- Both teams also got to the quartback once. Ryan Ransom recorded a sack for the Builders while John Piette notched one for Bridgewater.
- Travis Harris led the Builders defense with 12 total tackles, including a tackle for loss and a pass breakup.
- The Apprentice School outran Bridgewater 215 yards to 136 yards. Joseph Hodge led the way with 82 yards on 14 carries, including a run for 32 yards.
- Possession was nearly even, with the Builders having the ball for 32:01 and the Eagles 27:59.
The Apprentice School wraps up play against Old Dominion Athletic Conference opponents as the Builders head to Lexington, Va. on Friday, September 25 for a 7 p.m. game against Washington & Lee University at Wilson Field.