FINAL SCORE: Bluefield College 17, Apprentice School 6
RECORDS: Bluefiled College 1-6, Apprentice School 1-7
LOCATION: Bluefield, Va.
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School drove deep into Bluefield terriotory late in the 4th quarter, but the Rams' defense got a stop on 4th and 4 from the 32-yard line to end the threat and seal the victory.
HOW THEY SCORED
- Starting at the Builder's 47-yard line, the Rams used a 12-yard Cason Whitt pass to Quantre'l Hardy and a 17-yard Whitt pass to Marion Harris to help set up a 22-yard Drake Presley field goal. The kick completed a 14-play, 43-yard drive that gave Bluefield a 3-0 lead with 8:35 remaining in the opening quarter.
- The Rams started their next scoring drive at their own 18-yard line with 0:57 left in the 1st quarter. Bluefield was able to drive down the field thanks to a 36-yard Whitt completion to Semaj Tisdale. Harris then ran it in from the Apprentice School's 8-yard line to give the Rams a 10-0 lead with 13:06 remaining before the half.
- On their next drive, Whitt found Mason Maples for a 29-yard pass and Adrian Pope broke free for a 34-yard rush to move the Rams to the Builder's 20-yard line. Whitt then found Hardy for the passing score to give Bluefield a 17-0 lead, which it would take into the break.
- In the 3rd quarter, the Builders started their drive at the Ram's 48-yard line. Brenden O'Neil found Malcolm Greene for a 10-yard gain to move the ball to the 34-yard line. After a 4-yard scramble, O'Neil then found Bryce Scott for the 30-yard passing touchdown. The Builders missed the extra point attempt and would trail Bluefield 17-6 with 2:27 to play in the 3rd quarter.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE
- Bluefield was 8-of-18 (44%) on third-down conversions while the Apprentice School was 4-of-16 (25%).
- The Rams just managed to edge out the Builders on total offense 275 yards to 255 yards.
- The Builders threw for more yards, totaling 150 yards in the air compared to 142 for the Rams.
- Bluefield picked up more yards on the ground, running for 133 yards. The Apprentice School ran for 105 yards.
- Bluefield fumbled four times and lost two, while the Apprentice School recovered its only fumble on the day.
- The Bluefield defense got to the quarterback five times for a loss of 56 yards. The Buliders defense recorded three sacks for a loss of 16 yards.
- O'Neil paced the Builders' offense, completing 11-of-24 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown. Whitt completed 11-of-22 passes to lead the Rams with 142 yards and a score.
- Tyson Tillar led the Apprentice School defense with 7 tackles and a sack for a loss of 13 yards.
The Apprentice School will host Fork Union Military Academy (VA) next Saturday, October 31, for a 1 p.m. game at Apprentice Field. The game is the first meeting between the programs and will mark Homecoming and Alumni Day for the Builders. Seniors will also be honored before kickoff.