FINAL SCORE: Dean College 30, The Apprentice School 2
RECORD: Dean College 4-4, The Apprentice School 4-4
LOCATION: Newport News, VA - Apprentice Field
ON THE FIELD:
- Neither team scored in the opening quarter, with each trading punts before the Apprentice School drove down to the Bulldog 36-yard line. Faced with a 3rd and long, Matt Page couldn't connect with Antonio Hibbler and the Builders were forced to punt.
- Dean College struck first early in the second. Starting at the Builder 45-yard line, the Bulldogs completed a 45-yard pass on the first play of the drive. The ensuing PAT was good, giving the visitors a 7-0 lead (12:57 left in the 2nd).
- The visitors added a field goal late in the 2nd quarter after again starting their drive in Builder territory. From the Builder 21-yard line, a pair of runs set up a 36-yarder that Dean's kicker put through, putting the Bulldogs up 10-0 (4:59 remaining).
- The Builders looked to get on the board as they drove down to the Dean 11-yard line, setting up a 28-yard field goal attempt with 1:02 on the clock, but the kick was wide right.
- A Dean College score late in the 3rd quarter capped off a 13-play, 82-yard drive that ate up 7:51 off the clock. The Bulldogs completed a 10-yard strike and converted the PAT to pull ahead 17-0 (1:01 to play in the 3rd).
- The Builders were forced to punt from their own 29-yard line to start the fourth quarter. The Turner Paxton 71-yard kick took a couple of fortunate bounces deep into the Dean endzone. The Bulldogs tried to bring the ball out for a return, but the Builders were able to get the tackle and put a safety up on the board (14:44 mark).
- Dean College added a pair of rushing touchdowns to seal the game. The first came on a 2-yarder with 4:43 remaining, while the second was a 75-yard run with 2:40 to play. The visitors missed the first PAT but were successful on the second PAT.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE:
- Page completed 5-of-23 passes for 41 yards with a pair of interceptions. Page also picked on 26 yards rushing on 10 attempts.
- On the ground, Fred Hendrieth tallied 59 yards on 14 carries (4.2 AVG) while Brandon Jones ran for 32 yards on 8 carries (4.0 AVG).
- Ethan Bryce and Keith Taylor each caught a pass for 13 yards to lead the Builder receiving corps. Hendrieth pulled in a pair of catches for 10 yards and Austin Goforth added a 5-yard catch.
- Paxton punted 11 times for 347 yards (31.5 AVG), with a long of 71 yards and one kick inside of the opponent's 20-yard line.
- Ryan Ransom led the Builders on defense, racking up 15 tackles (8 solo, 7 assist), including 3.5 for a loss of 7 yards.
- Tyson Tillar followed Ransom with 9 tackles (5 solo, 4 assist), including 1.5 for a loss of a yard.
- John Teats, Trey Ross, and Keshawn Reid each broke up a pass.
The Builders start the final month of their season with an October 5th home game against Webber International (FL). Kickoff is scheduled for 1 PM.
Remember to check gobuilders.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news.