A busy weekend of Builder athletics starts this Saturday, November 12th as the football team host its last game of the season. Previews of football, wrestling and men's basketball to follow.
EVENT: Ave Maria University vs. The Apprentice School
RECORDS: Ave Maria University 0-9, The Apprentice School 4-5
LOCATION: Newport News, VA- Apprentice Field
KICKOFF: 1:00 PM
The Apprentice School Builders host the Ava Maria University Gyrenes this Saturday, November 12th at 1:00 PM on Senior Day. This will be the third meeting between the two with Ava Maria leading the series 2-0. The teams last played in 2014 where Ava Maria won 35-8 in Florida. Ava Maria University is an NAIA program from The Sun Conference. Ava Maria University enters Saturday's game with a 0-9 record and are coming off a 21-7 loss to Point Sky University. The Builders dropped to 4-5 on the season after a 42-14 loss to Webber International last Saturday.
- Ryan Ransom broke an Apprentice School record last weekend, recording his 20th tackle for loss on the season. The previous record of 18 was held by James Lee in 2010.
- Ryan Ransom, 7 sacks, needs 3 more sacks to break the Apprentice School record of 9.5 sacks held by Fred Canady in 2002.
- Fred Hendrieth needs 84 yards to eclipse the 1,000 yard mark for the season. Hendrieth's 11 touchdowns in a single season makes him second all-time in the Apprentice School modern era. He would need 3 touchdowns to break the single season record held by Jermaine Bellamy in 1993.
Game Day Giveaway
The first 50 fans that enter the main admission gate located adjacent to the Apprentice School athletic facility will receive a free Apprentice School Cup.
**Attention: Due to lack of participation, this years Chili Cook-off has been canceled**
The Builder wrestling team will travel to Collegeville, PA to compete in the Ursinus Fall Brawl on Saturday. The Builders are coming off an impressive season opener at the Virginia Beach National Open last weekend finishing in 1st place. The team had six 1st place finishes, one 2nd place, and four 3rd place finishes.
The Men's Basketball team will open its season on Sunday, November 13th at 1:00 PM as they take on USCAA member Williamson College of the Trades at the Apprentice School Athletic Facility.
The Builders return three seniors, one junior, five sophomores, and welcome six freshman to the team. Seniors, Zach Johnson who averaged 15.1 points and 7.8 rebound per game, Willie Bass who had a season high 16 blocks and 43 rebounds, along with Shaun Innis who averaged 4.0 points a game and pulled in a season high 69 rebounds look to lead the Builders to its 9th USCAA National Championship appearance. Other key returners include Michael Gainey, Jalen Ruffin, William Wilcox and Christian Cooper.
Fans attending basketball games at The Apprentice School will be able to park in the Parking Garage located on the corner of 31st Street and West Avenue adjacent to the south side of The Apprentice School.
Directional signage will be in place to lead you to the garage.
Directions From I-664 North or South
- Take Exit 5 towards 35th Street
- Proceed Straight on 35th street and cross over Washington Avenue.
- After crossing Washington Ave., 35th St. bares left and becomes West Ave.
- The parking garage is located on the left just past 31st Street.
- Parking attendants and signage will be available to assist.
Parking Garage Hours
The parking garage will be available from one hour prior to tipoff until one hour after the conclusion of the game.
Remember to check out www.gobuilders.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news, scores, and updates.