FINAL SCORE: The Apprentice School 24, Ave Maria 20
RECORD: The Apprentice School 5-5, Ave Maria 0-10
LOCATION: Newport News, VA - Apprentice Field
The Buidlers finish the season with an overall record of 5-5 which is their best record since 2007 where they also finished 5-5.
ON THE FIELD:
- The Gyrenes opened up the scoring late in the first quarter. From their own 35-yard line, the visitors broke free on the first play of their drive and ran 65 yards for the score. Ave Maria would miss the ensuing PAT, however, to lead 6-0 at the 4:41 mark.
- Tyson Tillar answered for the Builders in the second quarter, stepping in front of a Gyrene pass and returning it 45 yards for the touchdown. William Martin converted the PAT to put the Apprentice School up 7-6 with 13:13 to play in the half.
- Ave Maria took back control of the game with a 39-yard strike, capping off a 9-play, 52-yard drive. The visitors mishandled the PAT snap and could not convert a pass by their holder, but the Gyrenes went into half-time ahead 12-7.
- In the third quarter, the Builders started a drive on their own 17-yard line and marched 83 yards on 8 plays to go back on top. Fred Hendrieth punched in the ball from the 3-yard line and Martin added the PAT to put the Apprentice School up 14-12 (7:37).
- Ave Maria started off the fourth quarter by blocking a Builder punt and returning it for a score. The Gyrenes were successful on a two-point conversion, making it 20-14 with 14:50 on the clock.
- After an 11-yard sack by Illichris Gordon backed up Ave Maria to its 13-yard line, the Apprentice School started off a drive deep in Gyrene territory. From the 35-yard line, the Builders got down to the 6-yard line and had to settle for a 23-yard Martin field goal. The score cut the visitors' lead to 20-17 with 8:12 remaining in the game.
- With 2:20 to play, the Builders found themselves at their own 9-yard line. Terrance Sudberry found Keith Taylor down the sideline for a 40-yard gain and then connected with Taylor down the middle for an 11-yard pick up. Taylor fumbled on contact, but recovered the ball to keep the Builder drive alive.
- After a short run by Sudberry and an incomplete pass, the Apprentice school faced 3rd-and-8 from the Ave Maria 39-yard line. Matt Page was forced out of the pocket to his right, then scrambled back to his left and found a wide-open Luke Clark for a 39-yard touchdown. Martin's PAT put the Builders up 24-20 with 0:53 left in the game.
- The visitors started at their own 35-yard line, but benefitted from a defensive pass interference call and an unsportsmanlike conduct call. The penalties moved the Gyrenes to the Builder 39-yard line. After a pair of 12-yard completions brought the ball to the 15-yard line, Ave Maria had enough time for two plays but could not complete consecutive pass attempts and the Apprentice School held on for the win.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE:
- Page threw for 157 yards on 6-of-17 passing with one touchdown and one interception. The freshman signal caller added 35 yards rushing on 8 attempts (4.4 AVG).
- Sudberry was just shy of the 100-yard mark, completing 6-of-10 passes for 97 yards.
- Hendrieth led the Builder ground game with 53 yards on 23 carries (2.3 AVG) and a score.
- Clark was the biggest target on the day, hauling in five catches for 136 yards and what would be the game-winning score. Taylor followed with three receptions for 82 yards.
- Martin was perfect on the day. The freshman kicker knocked through his only field goal attempt of 23 yards and made all three of his PATs to tie a Builder record for the most PATs in a season (31). Martin shares the distinction with Jesse Johnson (1993 season) and Matt Edelen (2007 season). Additionally, Martin now owns the Builder record for the most PATs attempted in a season with 36.
- Tillar recorded 10 tackles, including 4.5 for a total loss of 11 yards, to lead the Apprentice School on defense. The sophomore linebacker added his interception as well as a pass break-up.
- Ryan Ransom followed with 8 tackles, including 0.5 sack for a loss of 4 yards. Gordon collected 7 tackles and a pair of sacks for 19 yards, while Khris Smith got to the quarterback with Ransom to earn a 0.5 sack.
- The Builders led the Gyrenes in first downs (17-11), third-down efficiency (39% - 7%), total offense (340-208), yards passing (254-105), and time of possession (32:24 - 27:36).