FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 75, Pitt-Titusville 61
RECORDS: Apprentice School 1-0; Pitt-Titusville 0-3
EVENT: Penn State Greater Allegheny Tip-off
LOCATION: McKeesport, PA.
IN BRIEF: Senior point guard Johnnie Ferebee nearly recorded a triple-double with 20 points, nine assists and eight rebounds as The Apprentice School opened its 2014-15 season with a 75-61 win over University of Pittsburgh-Titusville in the opening game of the Penn State Greater Allegheny Tip-off.
ON THE COURT
- The Panthers jumped out to an 11-4 lead with 15:51 left after a pair of Lloyd Wheeler free throws.
- Apprentice School then went on a 19-3 run over the next 8:14 to take a 23-14 lead on a Jay Melendez 3-pointer with 7:37 left in the half. The lead grew to 32-22 with 2:16 left on a layup from Dante Johnson.
- In the second half, the Panthers trimmed the deficit to 38-37 on a dunk from Anthony Allen with 16:16 left. Apprentice School responded with an 18-4 run over the next 5:17 to lead 56-41 with 10:59 left on a Michael Gainey layup.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Ferebee was joined in double figures by Jay Melendez who had a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Senior Lance Darden added 11 points in 14 minutes off the bench to round out the double figure scorers.
- Senior Jamal Curry was the leading rebounder for the Builders with 11 as they out-rebounded Pitt-Titusville 58-35.
FOR THE FOES
- Wheeler had 20 points, four assists and four steals for the Panthers, while Kyle Kennedy added 12 points off the bench.
The Builders will face either the host Penn State Greater Allegheny or Kent State Tuscarawas at 5 pm in the championship game of the tournament.