FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 93, Penn St. Greater Allegheny 78
EVENT: Penn State Greater Allegheny Tip-off
RECORDS: Apprentice School 2-0; Penn St. Greater Allegheny 2-1
LOCATION: McKeesport, PA.
IN BRIEF: All-Tournament selection Jay Melendez scored 29 points to lead three Builders in double figures as the men defeated the hosts 93-78 to win the Penn State Greater Allegheny Tip-off on Saturday.
ON THE COURT
- The Builders were never behind in the contest as they jumped out to a 10-3 lead on a Michael Gainey layup with 18:10 left.
- A Chris Dixon 3-pointer for the hosts brought them to within five points at 18-13 at the 14:29 mark. The Builders responded with a 20-8 run over the next 6:19 for a 38-21 lead on a Melendez 3-pointer with 8:10 remaining in the half.
- In the second half, the hosts made a run to get within six points on a Denzel Boyer-London 3-pointer with 5:36 left for an 80-74 margin. The Apprentice School closed the game on a 13-4 run for the final 93-78.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Joining Melendez in double figures were senior Johnnie Ferebee and freshman Michael Gainey with 22 points apiece.
- Gainey was 10-of-15 from the floor and added 11 rebounds, while Ferebee had nine boards and six assists.
- Melendez was 10-of-18 from the floor, 5-of-10 from 3-point range and hit all four of his free throws for his 29 points.
- That marked the first-time in at least 25 years that three Builders had 20 points or more each in a game.
The Builders will play next Saturday at 5 pm in the opening round of the Virginia Wesleyan College Tip-off as they face Delaware Valley College at the Jane Batten Center on the VWC campus.