FINAL SCORE: Shaw 88, Apprentice School 70
RECORD: Shaw 2-2, Apprentice School 3-2
LOCATION: Raleigh, NC
IN BRIEF: Larry Richardson scored 20 points to pace six in double figures for Shaw University as they defeated the Apprentice School 88-70 on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE COURT
- The Apprentice School held a 4-2 lead after a Jalen Ruffin layup with 17:51 left in the first half. That proved to be the last lead of the game for the Builders as the Bears went on a 15-2 run over the next 4:44 to take a 17-6 lead on an Ali Baba Odd 3-pointer with 13:07 left.
- Apprentice School trimmed that to six points on a 3-point play from Johnnie Ferebee with four minutes left, but fell victim to a half-ending 17-4 run as a Koron Reed free throw put the hosts up 50-31 at halftime.
- In the second half, the lead was never less than 16 points for Shaw University as Lance Darden hit a pair of free throws with 41 seconds left for an 86-70 score.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Ferebee was the leading scorer in the game with 24 points and four assists, while Darden chipped in with 14 points and three rebounds. Apprentice School was 25-of-65 from the floor (38.5%), 6-of-27 from 3-point range (22.2%) and 14-of-20 from the foul line (70%).
- Larry Richardson topped Shaw (2-2) with 20 points, while John Savoy added 16, Reed had 13, Odd added 12, Joe Reid had 11 points and 10 rebounds and Jamar Cooper chipped in with 10 points.
- This starts a run of four NCAA Division II opponents for the Builders as they take on three members of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (Shaw, Fayetteville St., Elizabeth City State) and East Coast Conference member University of District of Columbia.
Apprentice School will now compete in the Elizabeth City State University Thanksgiving Classic on Saturday when they face Fayetteville State at 1 pm.