FINAL SCORE: Fayetteville St. 94, Apprentice School 93
RECORDS: Fayetteville St. 4-2; Apprentice School 3-3
LOCATION: RL Vaughan Center/Elizabeth City, NC
IN BRIEF: A wild second half saw the score tied five times and six lead changes but Fayetteville St. took a 94-93 win over the Apprentice School in the second day of the Elizabeth City State University Thanksgiving Classic.
ON THE COURT
- The Broncos jumped out to a 14-9 lead at the 13:14 mark on a Devin Thompson jumper. A 3-pointer from Torian Showers 29 seconds later gave them a 17-9 lead which was their largest of the first half.
- Apprentice School went on an 16-4 run over the next 3:33 as a Tony Walton layup with 9:12 left put the Builders up 25-21. Consecutive 3-pointers from Jay Melendez and Lance Darden helped jump start the Builders run.
- The game was tied twice more in the first half as Lavonte Thomas hit a layup to tie the game 36-all. A pair of 3-pointers from Carl McCray and Preston Holmes helped put the Broncos up 42-38 at the half.
- In the second half, Joshua Dawson hit a pair of free throws with 17:43 left to give the Broncos their largest lead of the game at 49-40.
- The Builders slowly worked their way back into the contest as a Johnnie Ferebee layup brought them to 71-70 with 8:39 left.
- After a pair of Dawson free throws, Melendez pulled up from 28 feet and drained one of his game-high six 3-pointers and was fouled. The four-point play tied the game at 73-all with 8:14 left.
- The game was tied four more times in the final eight minutes as Thomas hit a pair of free throws with 2:21 left to make it an 89-all game. The Builders got within a point late as Curry tipped in a Ferebee miss with 16 seconds left for 94-93 margin.
- Fayetteville missed a pair of free throws, but a last-second layup from Curry bounced off at the horn.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Melendez hit a season-high 28 points going 6-for-8 from behind the arc. One of turned into a four-point play to tie the game at 74-all with 8:12 left. The six 3-pointers was one off his career-high in the inaugural game in the Apprentice Athletic Center when the Builders faced Lindenwood-Belleville.
- Ferebee was next in line for the Builders with 18 points and five assists, while Curry added 13 points and 12 rebounds. Thomas joined the double-double group with 10 points and 10 assists.
- The double-doubles from Melendez, Curry and Thomas was the first time the Builders had three record double-doubles in a game since December 6, 2008 when Eric Joe (28p/14reb), Stanford Johnson (12pt/15reb) and Eric Ruffin (12 pt/11reb) pulled the feat against Knoxville College.
- The Builders shot a blistering 21-of-37 from the field in the second half (56.8%) to end the game right at 50% going 36-of-72. They were 8-of-14 from behind the arc (57.1%) and 13-of-19 from the foul line (68.4%).
- Fayetteville State was topped by Carl McCray with 23 points and seven rebounds, Joshua Dawson with 17 points, 13 assists and nine rebounds. The Broncos were 29-of-65 from the floor (44.6%), 13-of-30 from the 3-point arch (43.3%) and 23-of-30 from the line (76.7%).
The Builders turn around and will play on Sunday afternoon at 4 pm to close the classic against the host Vikings.