FINAL SCORE: Northwood (FL) 93, Apprentice School 75
RANKING: Northwood #3 NAIA D-II; Apprentice School #7 USCAA
LOCATION: W. Palm Beach, FL
RECORDS: Northwood 5-0; Apprentice School 4-5
IN BRIEF: Johnnie Ferebee scored 19 points to lead three in double figures on Friday night as the men's basketball team dropped a 93-75 decision at Northwood University (FL) in the opening night of the English Family Classic.
ON THE COURT
- After a Jay Melendez 3-pointer gave the Builders an early 3-2 lead, the host Seahawks scored the next 10 points in a nearly two minute span as a Chris Lee layup with 17:32 left put Northwood up 10-3.
- The Builders cut the margin to two points twice in the first half as a pair of free throws from Ferebee with 8:05 left brought them to 24-22.
- Northwood answered with an 11-2 run over the next 3:47 as a Julian Smith jumper gave them a 35-24 lead with 4:18 left in the half.
- In the second half, the Builders cut the deficit to 44-36 on a Jamal Curry jumper 45 seconds into the half, but Northwood erupted for an 18-6 run over the next 4:26 as Fred Mattison hit a pair of free throws with 14:49 left to push the advantage to 62-42.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The Builders held Northwood, who was leading NAIA Division II in 3-point percentage coming into the game at 56% to a 9-of-24 (37.5%) showing from behind the arc.
- Ferebee added six rebounds and six assists to go with his team-high 19 points.
- Joining him in double figures was Melendez and Jamal Curry with 18 points and seven rebounds each.
- Chris Solomon topped Northwood with 20 points to lead four in double figures.
USCAA COACHES POLL
Prior to the game, the first United States Collegiate Athletic Association Coaches Poll was released and the Builders entered the rankings at #7.
Saturday's final game in the English Family Classic will be a top ten USCAA battle as the Builders will face Florida National University who entered the poll at #10. Tipoff will be at 5 pm in West Palm Beach, Florida.