The men's basketball team finishes its 2014 portion of their schedule this weekend with the first of two trips to New York City. This weekend they'll participate in the Berkeley College Classic facing Vaughn College on Saturday at noon, while taking on Berkeley College on Sunday morning at 10 am.
Both games are played at Borough of Manhattan Community College.
Apprentice School (4-6)
- The Builders are 4-6 after dropping a pair of games in the Northwood University English Family Classic in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Senior Johnnie Ferebee leads the team in scoring (18.2 ppg), assists (5.4 apg) and third in rebounding (5.4 rpg).
- Joining him in double figures is junior Jay Melendez (16.0 ppg) and second in rebounding (7.2 rpg).
- Senior Jamal Curry is nearly averaging a double-double at 11 points and a team-high 8.9 rebounds per game.
- In the latest United States Collegiate Athletic Association Men's Division I Poll released today, the Builders were ranked tenth.
Vaughn Warriors (4-7)
- This is the first-ever meeting in any sport between the schools
- Both Vaughn and Berkeley also compete in the Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- The Warriors average 78 points per game and allow almost 71.
- Sergio Mejia leads them in scoring at 13.9 points per game and in rebounding at 5.3 per game.
- Joining him in double figures is Rashad Lockett (11.2 ppg) .
- The Warriors have lost their last three games, including a 72-64 loss to USCAA Division I SUNY Canton on Tuesday.
- They were leading the others receiving votes category in the USCAA Men's Division II poll released today.
Berkeley Knights (5-2)
- This will be the first-ever men's basketball meeting between the schools.
- The Knights are a high-scoring team averaging over 93 points per game as they've started 5-2 this year.
- In their current four-game winning streak, the Knights have averaged almost 103 points per game.
- Keenan Langston leads the team in scoring averaging 21 points per game and hitting just under 50% from the floor.
- Three others average in double figures as Messiah Merritt (18.1 ppg), Kenton Chan-Man (13.7 ppg) and Stephon Jennings (10.3 ppg/60% FG) follow in double figures.
- Berkeley competes in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association Division II and are currently sixth in the latest poll that came out today.
- The Knights have made the last four USCAA Division II National Championship Tournaments and have finished fifth (2011), second (2012) and third (2013) in those.
NEXT UP – New York part two
The Builders start 2015 in the area they'll end 2014 in, New York City. On January 10, they'll face USCAA Division I rival St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn in the Hill Center on the St. Joseph's campus. The next day, they'll play USCAA Division II Penn State Worthington Scranton at noon in Dunmore, PA