FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 86, Southern Virginia 80
RECORDS: Apprentice School 14-9; Southern Virginia 6-18
LOCATION: The Barn/Buena Vista, Va.
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School scored its second win at Southern Virginia University in the last ten years as senior Jamal Curry scored 22 points to lead four in double figures as they defeated the Knights 86-80 on Friday night.
ON THE COURT
- The lead changed hands four times in the first three minutes as a 3-point play from Jamal Curry put Apprentice School up 9-7 with 17:12 left. That started a run of seven points in a row from Curry over the next 80 seconds as a jumper put the Builders up 13-11 with 15:52 left.
- SVU used a Cale Thornton layup with 11:48 left making the score 20-19, but then the Knights went cold as the Builders outscored them 13-3 over the next 8:22 to take a 33-22 lead on a Jay Melendez layup.
- A 3-pointer from Zach Zastrow closed the scoring in the half as the Builders took a 41-29 lead into halftime.
- In the second half, the Builders still held a 12-point lead as a Tony Walton stickback put the guests up 62-50 with 12:56 left. SVU went on a 16-5 run as Thornton's jumper with 8:52 left brought the hosts to 67-66. They eventually tied the game on a Michael Neufville layup with 7:40 remaining evened the game at 69-all.
- Apprentice School iced the game on an 12-2 run over the next 4:03 as Curry went one-for-two from the line for an 81-71 lead with 3:37 left. The Knights made a last gasp run scoring the next seven points as a David Baety jumper with 51 seconds left got the deficit to 81-78.
- From there, the Builders were five-of-six from the foul line as DeAndre Demiel went three-of-four and Curry hit a pair with eight seconds left for the final of 86-80.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Joining Curry in the double figure ranks was Walton with 18 points, Demiel with 17 and Johnnie Ferebee with 12 points and eight assists.
- The Builders were 29-of-54 from the floor (53.7%), 3-of-9 from 3-point range (33.3%) and 25-of-38 from the foul line (65.8%). They out-rebounded the Knights 40-31 as Demiel was the leading rebounder with six.
- SVU was paced by Beaty with 20 points, Kevin Walker added 14 and Taylor Larson chipped in with 13. The hosts were 29-of-69 (42%), 8-of-28 from 3-point range (28.6%) and 14-of-17 from the line (82.4%).
- The win at The Barn was the second for the Builders in the last ten years and they now hold a 16-14 all-time series lead over the Knights.
The men now head to Media, PA and face Williamson Trade on Sunday at 1 pm.