Individual Award Winners
Most Improved – Jordan Wright
Sophomore, Sheet Metal, Hampton, VA
- Saw his minutes jump from four minutes per game in the front half of the season to almost 20 per game in the second half of the year.
- Scored a season-best seven points in a home win over Williamson Trade
- Hauled in a season-best 12 rebounds on the road at Barber-Scotia College.
- Dished out season-best four assists also at Barber-Scotia College.
- For the year he averaged 1.8 points and 3.3 rebounds per game.
MVP – Jay Melendez
Junior, Outside Machinist, Suffolk, VA
- First Team United States Collegiate Athletic Association All-American
- First Team Virginia Sports Information Directors All-State Team
- 10 double-doubles
- Career-high 19 rebounds against Central Penn College
- 10 games of double figures in rebounding
- 7-game stretch averaged over 20 points and 12 rebounds per game.
- Had 6 3-pointers in a game twice
- Did not foul out of a game this year
- For the year he averaged 17.5 points and 8.8 rebounds per game
Coaches Award – Tony Walton
Senior, Outside Machinist, Windsor, VA
- Developed into a solid inside player who could stretch a defense and hit the mid-range jumper.
- Shot a team-best 56.1% from the floor.
- Scored a career-high 18 points on three occasions as a senior – including his last game where he had his first collegiate double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
- Scored in double figures in 10 games.
- For the year he averaged 8.4 points and 4.6 rebounds per game
Leadership Award – Zach Zastrow
Senior, Pipefitter, Newport News, VA
- A two-time winner of the Builder Award – this senior was a crowd favorite with his all-out hustle.
- He is in the Advanced Business Program
- Scored a season-best nine points, in 10 minutes of action, hitting 3-of-4 from 3-point range in a huge road win over Southern Virginia University.
- Hauled in a career-high seven rebounds against Mid-Atlantic Christian University.
- For the year he averaged 2.1 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.
Builder Award – Shawn Inniss
Sophomore, Coating Specialist, Chicago, IL.
- Saw action in every game as a freshman scoring a season-best 12 points in a big home win over NCAA Division II University of District of Columbia.
- Provided a lengthy defender in the post to attack with his 6-foot-5 frame.
- Had a season-best six rebounds on three occasions.
- Among the team leaders in free throw percentage hitting 76.5%.
- For the year he averaged 1.9 points and 2.2 rebounds per game
- Jay Melendez Named First Team USCAA All-American and First Team Va. Sports Info. Directors All-State
- Melendez won the 3-point contest at the USCAA Skills Contest prior to the USCAA Nationals
- Closed the year winning 10 of last 12 games
- Pair of 5-game winning streaks
- Played another challenging schedule facing an eventual NCAA Division III Final Four team (Virginia Wesleyan College) and four NCAA Division II schools in a 20-day span.
- Participated in a tournament at Northwood University (FL) coached by Basketball Hall of Fame Coach Rollie Massimino
- Defeated NCAA Division II University of District of Columbia at home