FINAL SCORE: Bob Jones 80, Apprentice School 76
RECORDS: Bob Jones 4-0, Apprentice School 1-1
LOCATION: Davis Field House/Greenville, S.C.
IN BRIEF: The Bruins were in control for most of the second half, but a late William Wilcox 3-pointer tied the score at 76-76 with :48 remaining in the game. The Builders could not take advantage of a Bruins' foul and Bob Jones would escape with the win.
ON THE COURT
- Jay Melendez opened up the scoring with a 3-pointer, kickstarting a 5-0 run by the Builders. The Bruins got on the board with a basket from Kyle Turner, but Wilcox responded with a 3-pointer of his own to give the Apprentice School an early 8-2 lead. Bob Jones fought back, though, and used a 10-0 run as Marshall Riddle's 3-pointer put the Bruins up 17-13 at the 10:05 mark.
- With 7:53 remaining in the opening half, Christian Cooper converted from beyond the arc to pull the Builders to within one, 20-21. Neither team could find some separation for the remainder of the half, which featured three ties. With the score even at 30-30, the Bruins made a 3-pointer with a little over a minute to play. The Builders would make a pair of baskets, but the Bruins would make a pair of free throws to take a slim 35-34 lead into halftime.
- The Bruins came out of the break looking to break open the game as they used a 14-5 run to take a 10-point lead at the 15:33 mark. A dunk from Melendez signaled the start of the Builders' response: an 11-4 run of their own that trimmed the lead down to 53-50.
- Bob Jones would answer with a 12-2 run, highlighted by three 3-pointers. The run put the Bruins in control 65-52 with 10:07 still to play.
- The Apprentice School refused to go away, though, as the Builders slowly fought their way back into the game. Wilcox found paydirt with :48 remaining as the freshman forward launched a 3-point attempt from the corner, tying the game at 76-76.
- With neither team having any timeouts to use, the Builders found themselves in posession with 38.3 seconds after a personal foul was called on the Bruins. Cameron Perry would drain some time and drive to the hoop, but a stout Bruins defense would force him to kick the ball back out to William White. White would miss the 3-point attempt with :07 on the clock and Riddle would miss a banked shot off the glass at the other end.
- Following the missed shot, the Bruins grabbed the rebound and the Builders were called for a foul underneath with 1.6 seconds left in the game. A technical foul on the Builders gave Bob Jones an additional pair of free throws, and the Bruins would make all four of them to put the game away.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Four Builders scored in double figures, with Johnson and Wilcox each scoring 17 points to lead the way. Melendez was right behind with 16 points and White added 10 points. Johnson added 14 rebounds, 10 of them on defense, to record the double-double.
- The Apprentice School shot 39.5% (30-of-76) from the field, 26.1% (6-of-23) from beyond the arc, and 58.8% (10-of-17) from the charity stripe.
- The Builders scored 16 points off of turnovers, while the Bruins scored 11 points.
- The game featured five ties and only one lead change.
The Builders return to action next Friday, November 20th, as they travel to Charlotte, N.C. to take on the Golden Bulls of Johnson C. Smith University. The game is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff.