FINAL SCORE: Livingstone 90, Apprentice School 71
RECORDS: Livingstone 1-3, Apprentice School 1-3
LOCATION: Brayboy Gym/Charlotte, N.C.
IN BRIEF: Zach Johnson earned a double-double with 20 points and 20 rebounds, but the Builders can't overcome a 26-point Livingstone lead.
ON THE COURT
- After ties at 2-2 and 4-4, Cordero Holt made both of his free throw attempts and Mark Johnson added a score to give the Blue Bears an 8-4 lead at 15:49. After a William White bucket at 15:20, Livingstone scored 5 straight off a Robert Flint 3-pointer and a Holt jump shot.
- After a Jalen Warren free trow at 9:53 cut the Blue Bear lead to 22-16, Livingstone went on another run, this time for 7 points. The Blue Bears pushed their lead to 19 (37-18) with a Daryl Trynham 3-pointer at the 6:44 mark.
- A pair of Christian Cooper 3-pointers and free throws by Jalen Ruffin and Cooper helped the Builders cut that lead to 10 as the Apprentice School trailed 44-34 at the break.
- Despite 12 points and 10 rebounds from Johnson, the Builders couldn't get back into the game in the second half. Livingstone's Jimmy Wilson matched Johnson's 12 points and the Blue Bears netted another 47 points to hold on for the win.
- Cooper hit another 3-pointer at 5:18, but a pair of Trynham free throws and a Flint 3-pointer gave the Blue Bears their largest lead of the night, 84-58 (4:11). The Builders went on an 8-0 run, but with only 1:33 to play, it proved to be too late.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Johnson paced the Builders with a 20 point, 20 rebound double-double performance. Cooper contributed 17 points off the bench, shooting 33.3%(4-of-12) from beyond the arc.
- The Builders shot 33.8% (22-of-65) from the field, 25% (6-of-24) from 3-point range, and 65.6% (21-of-32) from the free-throw line.
- The Apprentice School held the advantage in rebounds (57-41) and second-chance points (22-16).
- Both teams scored 30 points in the paint.
- The Builders scored 31 points off the bench.
- The game featured two ties and two lead changes.
The Builders will play their home opener next Saturday, November 28th as they host the Southern Virginia University Knights for a 1 p.m. contest.