FINAL SCORE: Florida National 111, Apprentice School 90
RECORDS: Florida National 14-7, Apprentice School 5-6
LOCATION: Apprentice School Athletic Facility Gymnasium/Newport News, Va.
IN BRIEF: The Builders fought back to within 22-21 midway through the opening half, but the visiting Conquistadors pulled away and wouldn't let the Apprentice School back into the game in the second half.
ON THE COURT
- Florida National controlled the game from start to finish, using a 3-ball to kickstart a 12-2 run in the opening half. After the Conquistadors pulled ahead 22-13 with a deep ball at the 11:47 mark, an 8-0 run by the Builders cut the lead to 22-21. The visitors would respond with back-to-back 3-pointers to pull away again.
- Florida National kept its distance the remainder of the half. After a succesful Conquistador free-throw put the visitors up 50-34 with 1:18 to play before the half, Christian Cooper drained a 3-pointer and Cameron Perry got a layup to fall. The teams entered the locker rooms with Florida National in control 50-39.
- In the second half, the Conquistadors used 9 threes to create some separation. The Builders couldn't make a dent and Florida National would find itself up by 28 (101-73) with 4:45 remaining.
- The Apprentice School put together a 6-0 run together late, but by then Florida National was up 106-86 with just under two minutes left in the game. The Builders got a couple late looks from beyond the arc, but couldn't get either shot to fall.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Jay Melendez led the Builders with 27 points and was a rebound shy of a double-double with 9 boards. The senior outside machinist apprentice also racked up a team-high 4 steals. Perry followed with 23 points and Jalen Ruffin scored 15 points.
- The Apprentice School shot 43.0% (34-of-79) from the field, 21.1% (4-of-19) from beyond the arc, and 60.0% (18-of-30) from the free-throw line.
- The Builders led in second-chance points 19-13. Both teams scored 48 points in the paint.
- The Builders netted 17 points from the bench, compared to 38 points by the visitor's bench.
- Florida National led the entire game, with no ties or lead changes.
The Builders play again Sunday as they host Williamson College of the Trades (Pa.) in the final game of the MLK Classic. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Fans attending Sunday's game are reminded that they can park on the 3rd deck of the parking garage located on the corner of 31st Street and West Avenue, adjacent to the south side of the Apprentice School. Parking attendants will be located on the west side of the garage as well as around the perimeter of the school. Additional directional signage will be in place to lead you to the garage.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news, scores, and updates.