FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 90, Florida College 87
RECORDS: Apprentice School 7-6, Florida College 5-8
LOCATION: Apprentice School Athletic Facility Gymnasium/Newport News, Va.
IN BRIEF: A 10-0 run and an 8-0 run help the Builders take control late in the first half, but the Falcons would not go away. Florida College got a three to fall to pull within a point, but with only a couple of seconds left in the game, they were forced to send Cameron Perry to the line and he would make both attemts to seal the win.
ON THE COURT
- Jay Melendez and Perry opened the scoring with a pair of scores. After a 3-ball by the Falcons, Melendez answered with one of his own. The visitors then took the lead 8-7 after a knocking down a pair of free throws and a 3-pointer.
- The Builders stayed in it, though, and would tie the game up at 15-15. After a 6-2 run by the visitors, the Apprentice School took off on a 10-0 run of its own to go ahead 27-21 with 6:29 to play in the opening half.
- Florida College made the most of a trip to the line with a pair of charity shots, but an 8-0 run by the Builders put them in control. The Apprentice School would head into the locker rooms with a comfortable 42-31 lead.
- The Falcons got hot from beyond the arc early in the second half, making three 3-pointers and a free throw in the first two minutes to pull within 44-41 at the 18:06 mark.
- The visitors continued to fight and would not go away. Despite being down by 10 points (83-73) with 2:37 on the clock, the Falcons got a 3-pointer to fall and were hot from the charity stripe. After a pair of Jalen Warren free throws, Florida College got a layup to fall in to trim the Builder lead to 86-82 at the :50 mark.
- Melendez sank a free throw of his own with :15 to play, but the vistors got another shot to fall and sent Perry to the line. Perry would miss the first but make the second to put the Apprentice School ahead 88-84.
- With only :05 remaining, Dustin Dunham drained a three to make things interesting. But with the Builders in possession, the Falcons sent Perry to the line again. Perry would make up for his earlier miss, though, and convert both of his free ones to seal the victory.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Four Builders reached double-digit scoring: Zach Johnson led the way with 23 points; Perry followed with 18 points; Melendez earned a 15-point, 11-rebound double-double; and Warren added 10 points.
- The Apprentice School shot 45.3% (29-of-64) from the field, 16.7% (2-of-12) from beyond the arc, and 75% (30-of-40) from the free-throw line.
- The team committed fewer turnovers (14-20) and led in points off turnovers (20-17), points in the paint (36-22), and fastbreak points (6-0).
- The visitors held the edge in bench production: the Falcons' bench scored 30 points, compared to 26 points from the Builders' bench.
- The game featured two ties and four lead changes.
The men's basketball team is on the road to conclude the month of January as they travel to Temple Terrace, Fla. to play in the Florida College Sun Coast Classic. The Builders will play the Falcons next Thursday, January 28th, at 8 p.m., followed by a 6 p.m. game against Florida National on Friday, the 29th.