EVENT: 43rd Marine Federal Credit Union Intercollegiate Golf Championships
LOCATION: Camp Lejeune, NC
COURSE: Paradise Point Golf Course – Gold Course
PAR/YARDS: 72/6,833 yards
PLACE: Tied 11th among teams playing Gold Course
ON THE COURSE
The Apprentice School golf team opened play on Friday morning in the 43rd annual Marine Federal Credit Union Intercollegiate Golf Championships and came out with a strong 316 round to start the three-day event.
Senior Ben Hunter carded his first sub-par round of the spring season as he shot two-under-par 70 on the nearly 6,900-yard par-72 Gold Course at Paradise Point Golf Course.
Freshman Russell Fields came in at five-over-par 77, while junior Eric Johnston (84) and Kyle Mutter (85) rounded out the counting members on Friday. Freshman Austin Robbins finished with a 94 to conclude the Builder scorers.
- The 32-team event is split over two courses for the first two rounds. Teams that played the Gold Course on Friday will play on the par-70, 5,900-yard Scarlet Course on Saturday.
- After Saturday's second round, the top 16 teams will compete for the Gold Championship while the remaining 16 teams will compete for the Scarlet Championship.
- This is a very prestigious tournament that the Builders earned an invitation to for the first time in school history. Eleven of the 31 college teams, one team from Camp Lejeune also participates, are ranked in either NCAA Division III or NAIA.
- For the first two rounds, the teams go off in groups of two with a third player being a member of the Marines from Camp Lejeune.
- N.C. Wesleyan College leads the teams that played on the Gold course Friday with a round of 300. Ferrum College is two strokes behind them with a group of three teams coming in at 305 to round out the top five off the Gold course.
- The Builders are tied with Bridgewater College with a +28 round of 316 and share 11th place.
- The 316 round for the Builders on Friday marked the lowest round they've shot this spring.
The second round for the Builders will see them in the last wave of teams heading off the Scarlet Course starting around 11:30 am. Saturday.