EVENT: 43rd Marine Federal Credit Union Intercollegiate Golf Championship
LOCATION: Camp Lejeune, NC
COURSE: Scarlet Course – Paradise Point Golf Course
ON THE COURSE
- The Builders finished their first appearance in the Camp Lejeune Intercollegiate by playing the Scarlet Course on Sunday where they recorded a season-low 296 round.
- Nebraska Wesleyan College won the Scarlet Division with a 600 total, followed by USC-Lancaster (601), Shenandoah (602), DePauw (603) and Stevenson (607) all finishing ahead of the Builders who ended the event with a 612.
- Senior Ben Hunter and freshman Russell Fields were the low men on Sunday as each recorded a three-over-par round of 73 on the 5,910-yard course.
- Hunter finished third in the Scarlet Division with a 143 total as he was one stroke off the leader Evan Cocke from Shenandoah.
- Fields took four strokes off his Friday round score to finish the event with a 150 total.
- Kyle Mutter rebounded on Sunday as he was next in line for the Builders with a four-over-par 74 to finish at 159 for the event.
- Freshman Austin Robbins dropped 18 strokes off his Friday round on Sunday as he finished with a 76 to end the tournament with a 170 total.
- Junior Eric Johnston came in on Sunday with an 82 to finish the event with a 166 total.
- The 612 two-day total tied the school record for lowest tournament score. They equaled the mark set Sep. 16-17, 2012 in the Tom Kinder Memorial hosted by Bridgewater College when they shot 306-306.
- The 296 round on Sunday is the fourth lowest round in school history. It's the lowest the Builders have shot in a round since they set the school mark with a 285 at The Woodlands on Sept. 24, 2010.
- Hunter's 143 total tied the second lowest individual tournament score in school history. He tied Mutter who shot 71-72 for a 143 at the same Tom Kinder Memorial Tournament. With his 70 on Friday, Hunter tied the seventh lowest individual round in school history.
- Since Saturday's second round was rained out, the top 16 team scores were involved for the Gold Championship. The remaining 16 teams competed for the Scarlet Championship. Oglethorpe University won the Gold Championship with a 575 total.
NEXT EVENT – Virginia Wesleyan Invitational
The Builders will participate in the Virginia Wesleyan College Marlin Invitational this weekend in Virginia Beach.
CAMP LEJEUNE INTERCOLLEGIATE – SCARLET DIVISION
Camp Lejeune, NC
Sunday's round – Scarlet Course Par-70, 5,911 yards
TEAM SCORES: Nebraska Wesleyan 307-293-600; USC-Lancaster 286-315-601; Shenandoah 290-312-602; DePauw (IN) 314-289-603; Stevenson 293-314-607; Apprentice School 316-296-612; Skidmore 305-310-615; Roanoke 297-322-619; Camp Lejeune 319-301-620; Randolph-Macon 295-325-620; Washington & Lee 304-317-621; Penn State Harrisburg 311-330-641; Fayetteville State 340-301-641; Lynchburg 334-314-648; Va. Wesleyan 316-334-650; Miles 365-324-689.
MEDALIST: Evan Cocke (Shenandoah) 70-72-142.
APPRENTICE RESULTS: 3. Ben Hunter 70-73-143; Russell Fields 77-73-150; Kyle Mutter 85-74-159; Austin Robbins 94-76-170; Eric Johnston 84-82-166.