EVENT: Marlin Invitational
LOCATION: Virginia Beach, VA
COURSE: Red Wing Lake
FINISH: 1ST out of 5
IN BRIEF: For the second time in three years, the Apprentice School golf team captured the Virginia Wesleyan College Marlin Invitational as they shot a 314 round on a rain-soaked Red Wing Lake Golf Course in Virginia Beach Monday.
ON THE COURSE
- The Apprentice School dropped one stroke off its Sunday total to come in with a 314 round on a rain-soaked Red Wing Lake Golf Course to capture the team title with a two-day 629 total. Shenandoah University came in second 19 strokes back with a 648 and Randolph-Macon College was two behind the Hornets with a 650.
- Senior Kyle Mutter was the medalist in the event as he shot a five-over-par 77 on Monday to finish at five-over-par 149. He won the event by four strokes over his teammate Ben Hunter and Kyle Fuller of Randolph-Macon College. The win is Mutter's first this year and the fifth time he finished in the top five in an event.
- Hunter shot a two-over-par 74 on Monday to finish tied for second with Fuller at 153. That marked the ninth time this year that he finished in the top five in an event.
- Junior Eric Johnston shot an 80 on Monday to finish alone in seventh place with a 161 total. That marked his fourth top 10 finish this year.
- Freshman Russell Fields shot his second straight round of 83 to finish tied for tenth place with a two-day total of 166. That marked his first top 10 finish in his collegiate career.
- Chris Davis came in with a 91 on Monday to finish tied for 20th with a 180, while freshman Austin Robbins dropped eight strokes off his Sunday round to finish with an 87 and alone in 22nd with a 182 total.
BEHIND THE SCORECARD
- The rounds by the Builders this weekend were the fourth and fifth lowest they shot this 2013-14 season.
- When they won the event in 2012, they shot a 315 in the first round and saw the second round get rained out. This year, they shot a 315 in the first round and played in rainy conditions for a 314 round.
FINAL EVENT OF 2013-14 -- GLENN HEATH MEMORIAL
The final event of the 2013-14 season will take place on April 14-15 as the golf team will host the Glenn Heath Shipbuilders Memorial Tournament at Williamsburg Club. As of today, the following teams are entered: Randolph-Macon College, Christopher Newport University, Paine College (GA), Shenandoah University, Eastern Mennonite University, Lynchburg College, Wesley College (DE) and two Apprentice School teams.