TOURNAMENT: Shenandoah University Invitational
LOCATION: Shenandoah Valley Golf Club/Front Royal, Va.
FINAL SCORE: 686/13th place
IN BRIEF: The Builders improved on their Saturday total by shaving off 40 strokes, shooting a combined 323 in the final round to take 13th place at the Shenandoah University Invitational.
ON THE COURSE
- Sophomores Phillip Nelson and Perry Barber tied for 44th place, both shooting a 162 to lead the Builders at the two-day Invitational. Nelson, dealing with an injured foot, shot a four-over 75 on the day while Barber carded a 79.
- Senior Forrest Barefoot took 69th place with a 180 total after he shot an 84 in the final round.
- Close behind Barefoot was Sophomore Tim Moore, who shot an 82 on the final day for a 182 total and a 72nd place-finish.
- Finishing right after Moore in 73rd place, Freshman Travis Weaver shot an 85 in the final round for a 187 total.
- Virginia Wesleyan College combined for a 26-over-par 598, holding off Shepherd University by seven strokes to win the team title.
- Virginia Wesleyan's Evan Cox held off Shepherd's Joey Burkinshaw by one stroke to claim another top finish, shooting an even 71 to finish with a one-under-par 142 total.
The Builders will play in the Virginia State Golf Association Championship on September 28-29, which will be held at Heritage Oaks Golf Course in Bridgewater, Va.