FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 81, Bennett 44
EVENT: Great Ships Classic
RECORDS: Apprentice School 4-0, Bennett 0-5
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center
ON THE COURT: Senior Courtney Collins had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds to lead five in double figures on Saturday as The Apprentice School defeated Bennett College 81-44 in the final game of the Great Ships Classic.
Bennett jumped out early to a 6-3 lead on a pair of Aaliyah Carter free throws with 16:30 left. The Lady Builders responded with a 16-2 run over the next 6:23 to take a 19-8 lead on a steal and layup from Bria Hill at the 10:07 mark.
In the second half, the Lady Builders opened with a 17-2 run in the first six minutes to take a 57-20 lead on a Collins layup with 14 minutes left. A 10-2 Apprentice School run over a 4:08 span later in the second half gave the hosts a 75-34 lead on a Brittanie Herriott layup with 4:17 left. That equaled the largest lead of the game.
GAME ONE: In game one, Penn State Fayette jumped out to a nine-point halftime lead and defeated Southern Virginia University 72-60. Jill Guthrie scored 22 points to lead Penn State Fayette as they recorded their first victory in the Great Ships Classic in five years of playing in the event.
Jill Guthrie (Penn State Fayette), Caitlin Wontroba (Penn State Fayette), Quanisha Brown (Bennett), Danita Whitaker (Apprentice), Courtney Collins (Apprentice – MVP).
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Joining Collins in double figures for The Apprentice School was Kelsey Daniels (12 points-10 rebounds), Kenya Wilkerson (11 points-9 assists), Shanae Hilliard (10 points-4 assists) and Brittanie Herriott (10 points).
- The double-double from Daniels was her first collegiate double-double.
- Wilkerson had no turnovers and six rebounds to go with her near double-double of 11 points and 9 assists.
- The 10 points for Herriott set a new career-high topping the 8 she had at Berkeley College (NY) on Jan. 13, 2013. She matched her career-high in rebounds.
- The Lady Builders were 34-of-71 from the field (47.9%) and out-rebounded the Belles 69-31.
- Bennett was paced by Quanisha Brown with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
The Lady Builders are off now until December 1 when they host St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn in a noon start for a doubleheader. Apprentice School men will face St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn in the second game at 2 pm.