FINAL SCORE: Greensboro 89, Apprentice School 68
RECORDS: Greensboro 4-0, Apprentice School 6-2
LOCATION: Hanes Gym/Greensboro, NC
ON THE COURT: Senior Courtney Collins scored 20 points to lead three in double figures on Saturday afternoon as The Apprentice School lost 89-68 at Greensboro College.
In a game that saw five ties and 11 lead changes, the Lady Builders held as much as a seven point lead with 70 seconds left in the half as Shanae Hilliard drained a 3-pointer to lead 42-35. The hosts scored the final four points of the half to close the game to 42-39 on a Chevena Pickard 3-pointer with 10 seconds left in the half.
Greensboro continued that run to start the second half outscoring the Lady Builders 17-3 in the first 6:27 to lead 56-45 on a pair of Joselyn Spires free throws with 13:33 left. A pair of free throws from Kenya Wilkerson at the 10:58 mark brought the Lady Builders within 10 points at 65-55, but that was as close as they got.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Danita Whitaker was next in scoring for the Lady Builders with 15 points, while Hilliard added 14.
- Wilkerson was the leading rebounder for the Lady Builders with a career-best nine rebounds.
- It was a tale of two halves from the floor for the Lady Builders as they were 18-of-30 (60%) in the first half and 9-of-25 (36%) in the second half to finish just under 50% for the game at 27-of-55 (49.1%).
- Apprentice School turned the ball over 31 times, while only forcing 16 for Greensboro. The Lady Builders had seven steals on the game, by seven different players.
- Chevena Pickard was the leading scorer for Greensboro with 24 points, 11 rebounds and six assists.
The Lady Builders embark on a three-game road swing to Maine as they open Friday night at 7 pm against the University of Maine-Fort Kent.
The game scheduled for Sunday at Ferrum College was rescheduled to January 12 at 2 pm due to the impending winter storm to hit central and western Virginia Saturday night.