FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 75, Maine-Presque Isle 57
RECORDS: Apprentice 7-3, Maine-Presque Isle 7-1
LOCATION: Presque Isle, ME
ON THE COURT: The Apprentice School Lady Builders closed out their three-game swing to northern Maine as they went on a 13-0 run early in the first half and defeated University of Maine-Presque Isle 75-57 in a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association contest Sunday morning.
Apprentice School went 2-1 on the swing and enters the holiday break with a 7-3 record. The Owls suffered their first loss of the season after opening with seven straight wins.
The hosts took an early 7-4 lead on a jumper from Rebecca Campbell with 16:25 left. Apprentice School answered with 13 straight points capped by a 3-point play from Courtney Collins to put the Lady Builders up 17-7 with 12:16 left in the half. After trading buckets, the Lady Builders used a 14-2 run to push the lead to 32-12 on a 3-point play by Collins with 7:16 left in the first half.
From there, the Lady Builders pushed the lead to as much as 27 points with 5:24 left in the half as Kenya Wilkerson hit a jumper to take a 73-46 lead.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Collins paced the Lady Builders with a game-high 21 points in 21 minutes of action.
- Bria Hill and April McCoy joined Collins in double figures with 11 points each.
- McCoy and Julissa Riddick shared team-high rebounding honors with six each as the Lady Builders out-rebounded the Owls 38-26.
- For the game, the Lady Builders were 32-of-63 from the floor (50.8%) and held the hosts to a 19-of-51 performance (37.3%).
- Apprentice School forced 22 UMPI turnovers and scored 22 points off those miscues.
This closes the first half of the season for the Lady Builders who will return to action on January 3 when they face Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Va.